Problem Server stops accepting commands upon attaching and detaching screen

S

SGTNAPALM

I am running FTB Infinity Evolved on a local laptop, with no additional mods or plugins installed.

System info via screenfetch whilst running the server with three connections:
Code:
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.10.8-200.fc25.x86_64
Uptime: 5d 15h 28m
Packages: 1909
Shell: bash 4.3.43
CPU: Intel Core i3-2330M @ 4x 2.2GHz [58.0°C]
GPU: intel
RAM: 3718MiB / 5873MiB

Performance is surprisingly great at around ~6 people peak. Couldn't be happier with that.

To facilitate remote server maintenance I've been leveraging SSH. Of course, with SSH a remote start would terminate the process upon session close, so I've been employing screen. I would initialize with screen -S MCSERV and then run ServerStart.sh. Then I would use ctrl+a+d in order to detach, and simply use screen -r to reattach.

This usually works fine, I mostly interact with the laptop with SSH now. However, after a few attaches and detaches, I run into an issue:

SzvDTR3.png

I suddenly become unable to interact with the server's console. This issue will persist when attempting to access the server's screen on the native machine, not just with SSH. Using CTRL+Z and bg will give me access to bash again within the MCSERV screen, and fg will reinsert me into the server console, but I will still be unable to issue commands.

I suspect this is an issue with Java in some manner, but I have no idea how true this is. Again, apart from this the server appears to run beautifully.

I am not running the server with any special arguments, either; I am merely using the default ServerStart.sh and default server config.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
do you have enough space left?

Check that and see if that's your issue - otherwise post full log /logs/fml-server-latest.log and use paste.feed-the-beast.com and give the link here.

S

SGTNAPALM

Free space should be fine. My /home directory has 420 GB free. I should point out that software full disk encryption through LVM is enabled. Poor choice, I know, but this was more of a personal laptop I retrofitted to be a server rather than something I set up to be a server from the start. Were I starting over for the purpose of a server I would've done it differently. Surprisingly the server runs fine despite this with no complaints from my clients.

http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/b5261a9a

Here is the log... HOWEVER: I shut the server down last night and instead of using screen, I decided to install tmux (an alternative of sorts to screen), and start the server on that. The issue described above with screen would happen very quickly, but after 12+ hours with tmux and a dozen connects and disconnects and attaches and detaches, the issue has not yet happened. This log I posted is of the server running under tmux, not screen.

In another thread on this forum someone did mention that tmux appears to play nicer with Minecraft servers, so it could very well be an issue with screen and its interaction with java or maybe even just Minecraft. I'm gonna give it another day or two and if it all seems hunky dory I'm gonna say that this workaround fixed my issue. If you're curious though I can run the server on a screen again and post those logs so people can take a poke at it if they're inclined.

S

SGTNAPALM

Yeah I don't know how to mark as solved, but consider this solved.