Server specs for FTB Unleashed public server

Approx Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there,

I was wondering what kind of specs I would need for a server that runs FTB Unleashed. The players online could vary from 20-50ish.
I've been looking at a plan from GGServers, and they have one that gives you 5GB of RAM. How good would that be?

Thanks very much.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Once you get to bigger player numbers, there is some base sharing and you can expect people to not be playing for more than a few days. There is not flat amount of memory per player, but if I had to give a number, it would be 256mb once you get past 4 players.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
5GB maybe, depends on your JVM arguments, world size, players, etc. for a new server though 5Gb will be more then enough 4 GB being just enough, but find it what COU they use for their servers! Some use a CPU like a E5 26XX which has a lot of cores which lets them host more servers however those have lower clock speeds, try to get a host that uses E3 v2 or E3 v3 server CPUs as they perform the best.

Approx Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Once you get to bigger player numbers, there is some base sharing and you can expect people to not be playing for more than a few days. There is not flat amount of memory per player, but if I had to give a number, it would be 256mb once you get past 4 players.
Ok, thanks.
5GB maybe, depends on your JVM arguments, world size, players, etc. for a new server though 5Gb will be more then enough 4 GB being just enough, but find it what COU they use for their servers! Some use a CPU like a E5 26XX which has a lot of cores which lets them host more servers however those have lower clock speeds, try to get a host that uses E3 v2 or E3 v3 server CPUs as they perform the best.
On their website, they say the most common server they use has these specs: E3-1230v2 CPU- 2x 120 GB SSD in RAID 1- 32 GB DDR ECC RAM- 1 Gbps uplink

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Now, are you getting that full dedicated machine or are you getting a VPS hosted on one of those boxes?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I assumed you were talking about a dedicated machine for 20 - 50 people. There are probably at least 4 VPS's on that server. Your basically getting 1 core maximum of that processor, a quarter of that disk IO, and a quarter of the network bandwidth.

If you do the math of 32 gigs of memory divided by 5, there is actually 6 VPS's on that box most likely. So your not even getting a full core of the processor.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I assumed you were talking about a dedicated machine for 20 - 50 people. There are probably at least 4 VPS's on that server. Your basically getting 1 core maximum of that processor, a quarter of that disk IO, and a quarter of the network bandwidth.

If you do the math of 32 gigs of memory divided by 5, there is actually 6 VPS's on that box most likely. So your not even getting a full core of the processor.
You are able to allocate more logical and physical COU cores per VPS, if they go by logical cores they have 2 unused cores, if they go by physical cores they would have 4 servers on the E3 with some extra ram and each VPS using 2 logical cores. There isn't really a way to know without asking them.

Pantong

Jul 29, 2019
If your looking for a dedicated server 20-50 people, plugins out the wazu, you will need ~5-6GB ram with good GC, strong cpu where u have full control over cores. a VPS will not cut it in the long run, as more time in the server passes, everything will creep up in useage.

Disk I/O is very important and CPU. it is a balancing act. IF you ran the world off ramdisk you could do with a weaker cpu, but not by much.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
If your looking for a dedicated server 20-50 people, plugins out the wazu, you will need ~5-6GB ram with good GC, strong cpu where u have full control over cores. a VPS will not cut it in the long run, as more time in the server passes, everything will creep up in useage.

Disk I/O is very important and CPU. it is a balancing act. IF you ran the world off ramdisk you could do with a weaker cpu, but not by much.
Ok I have to point this out, it is a bad bad idea to run minecraft I on the ram disk especially FTB because of more frequent crashing. Don't ever do that. If it goes down all world data can be lost and you will have to revert to a backup.

Pantong

Jul 29, 2019
I know what ramdisk is, and i love it, the pro's and con's.

I have been on ramdisk for about 7 weeks now. We have had ftb crash a few times, only data lost was a few mins(unless it was just saved). The datacenter we are in guarantees 5 9's of uptime of the machine. We do 1 major backup a day and many backups that saves to our hdd in a different thread.

I would say, if you do not have precautions set up, you should not do this.

But if you have a large amount of I/O, and SSD's is not cutting it(for whatever reason) Ramdisk is the way to go.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft isn't that I/O demanding at all, I have over 1.2 million region files, 450+GB world on two servers, with 13 servers running on the same server, it'd dual HDD loads in ¼ second most of the time as it reaches 250MB/s which is as fat as most SSDs, also SSDs are not meant for that many writes and their lifetime is greatly reduced by very frequent saves, ARK even gives the lifetime of intel SSDs which is about 2 years, add in the minecraft saving and maybe prism for logging and your looking at 1-1.5 years for a drive.

Reactions: Pantong

Pantong

Jul 29, 2019
That is also true, to be honest. My world is limited, we wanted that, and the people say they can find people to pvp more now. Our server only takes up about 6 GB. we pre generated the entire world to be about ~ 4,000,000 chunks-5,000,000 chunks. (We have mystcraft disabled, people just hide in random books and never come out)

So on our 24gb ram we decided to make disk not a problem and ran it off ramdisk. If we had a SSD we most likely would of used that. But the HDD's in our box are ... slow. and we just wanted to knock out completely, a source of lag and overhead.

We have a good price on the server for special reasons. Basically, e-cycle service + inside people = just pay for space and internet overhead.

You are 100% correct, 2 HDD's is enough to run large servers, SDD's are not needed/can burn out and Ramdisk is a pain to deal with and also very expensive. I like working with it, and we have extra resources not going to a DB or the server, so we decided to play around with out server and see what we could do.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
In SSH run this

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

It will tell you how many IOPS and read/write speed your disc/s have