Server randomly terminating without error

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't a problem with a perticular FTB pack so, I'm not posting it in support. I am however, hoping that a member of this community might be able to help me identify what exactly is happening here.

I've always had issues getting my server to boot on my Linux VPS due to the server terminating at boot. Eventually, through pure concentrated perseverance, it will boot and, remain functional until I decide to perform an update.

Currently, the server refuses to boot at all. It will reach a certain point in its log: http://i.imgur.com/1rkIjqA.png where the -screen instance is terminated and, the process ends. No errors are ever thrown, there is nothing in the log suggesting that the application crashed. One minute it's loading along, the next, poof, gone.

I can confirm that it is ENTIRELY Linux specific. The server boots without issue on my desktop with the same amount of memory allocated.

I've taken several steps to resolve the issue including:
Removing several mods
Using cpulimit to prevent the server from overtaxing the cpu
Increasing the heap size/permgen
Rebuilding the entire Linux environment
Switching to a difference version of mcpc+
Using the standard Forge server

Keep in mind that eventually, the server will boot. I am also using the sun jvm at version 45 (latest). I'm hoping someone has run into a similar issue because, without a proper error to work with here I'm stumbling around in the dark.

Update: I looped start.sh about thirty times, the server finally booted again...

Last edited:

Rems19

Jul 29, 2019
I've just resolved the same issue on my VPS.
The problem was that the server was taking too many RAM frop the VPS (more than 80%).
For the security, the VPS stop it automatically.
It can be ridiculous to say but you have to run it with less RAM.
I had to think hard to solve the problem. Because the logic is to say it need more RAM, but not.

Hope it will work ! :)

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I came to the same conclusion sadly. Thanks for the reply though, it reassures me that I made the right decision.

For me, the Linux OOM Killer running through openvz kept killing the java process. After searching through some logs I found the message oom killed (java) (bunch of numbers). For anyone else running into this headache, there is no solution beyond upgrade your hosting package. Most of the players on the server left anyways so, I'll be moving it into a local machine. I need a break from Linux's "I'm going to do random action X and, there's nothing you can do to stop me!".