Server Project Advice

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I am going into the planning stage of a project to put together a standalone machine to function partly as a fileserver, predominantly as something I can run a small whitelist minecraft server on for my friends and I. I'm wanting something I can set up so that it stays switched on pretty much the whole time, can be hardwired to my router and accessed/operated remotely from within my home network. Once set up I want to be able to pull all other peripherals and just leave the base unit running (barring resets and downtime).

I understand enough about the basics that I am able to put a desktop windows PC together to gaming or office specs, but I have never done anything regarding a server. There's a lot of information and many guides out there, but I wanted to ask the advice of a friendly community who likely has a lot of accumulated experience with what is needed for a minecraft server (which is really what I want it for. The rest is a helpful byproduct/excuse to persuade the wife to let me do it).

Is there any more info I need to provide? Any specific points I need to consider first? Any constructive advice is welcome and may be exchanged for good karma.

LordDeTracy

Jul 29, 2019
Its actually really easy to do all that and you dont even have to be "computer savy" to do it. Give me a day to write up a small tutorial for you.

iceage32

Jul 29, 2019
If you are going to setup fot this a computer I suggest installing a type of linux(recommend ubuntu server 12.04) and mcmyadmin 2 for controlling it from anywhere.Also for downtime you can make a startup script that runs mcmyadmin everytime you start the machine.If you want me to help pm me and ask :D

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated.

I consider myself moderately computer savvy. The easiest way to describe it is 'I know enough to know when I don't know enough'. I can generally stop myself before I do something monumentally stupid/damaging. I'm asking advice on both the hardware and software side of things if possible. Effectively starting from 'I want to build a server' and getting to the point of 'Here's the IP, please keep griefing to a minimum guys'.
I have done a little research myself and have a general idea of some of the things involved, but have precisely zero experience on setting up and running a server. So I figure I'll ask more experienced people, so's I can try and avoid more noobish mistakes, and get a better handle on it before I actually start purchasing components.

I've seen that the linux-based server environment is recommended by a few people, and I have a friend locally who can give me some help on that score. It's not an OS I have spent much time on, though I'm considering setting up a multi-boot partition and installing one so I can get more familiar. Any recommendations for which linux version to use for trying out as a regular OS (not server)?