Server PermGen space problems

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
I have a server with about 50 mods installed, and I gave it 512M of perm space, and it keeps throwing the error of running out of PermGen space when I run it. I don't understand, because I can run a modpack like the Yogscast Complete pack with 256M and it runs fine, and it has almost 5 times as many mods as I have.

Code:
[12:45:33] [Thread-2/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
[12:45:33] [AWT-EventQueue-0/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

My full log is too large for pastebin; where else could I post it?

Ookami5875

Jul 29, 2019
I could be wrong, but I believe this is a case of too much actually causing a problem. Try lowering the PermGen to 128M or 256M.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Permgen space is a case of "as much as necessary, as little as possible". It defaults to 80 MB. So start with upping it to 128MB and if that runs fine, stick with it. There is no performance advantage to permgen space at all; it is simply a "runs or fails" thing. So long as it runs, there is no further improvement to be gained.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
I tried running it with 128M and 256M and the same thing happened.

If I take out about a third of my mods, though, it runs fine. It really seems like it's running out of memory somewhere, but I don't get why.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't know without seeing a modlist, you could have a bad leaky mod in there that just eats up the memory

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
>Trail Mix
I salute your bravery for including this.

That aside, you could try the old tried and true method of elimination. Take out half the mods, see if it runs. No - repeat. Yes - switch to the half you removed, repeat. Keep doing this until you have the one mod left that won't run. (Just keep in mind dependencies and crashes from lack thereof. My friends and I were joking last night I should make a FTB pack....made solely of core/library mods because of all the dependency fun.)

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
What's wrong with Trailmix? Is it particularly buggy?

And yeah, I've tried this. There don't seem to be any particular mods causing the problem.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
What's wrong with Trailmix? Is it particularly buggy?

And yeah, I've tried this. There don't seem to be any particular mods causing the problem.
Not buggy, mainly just the explosions on landing.:D
Huh, no results from that method either, huh? Seeing the full log would help, but not sure where you can upload it to. I use my personal website for large logs, but not sure if you have that option. Dropbox or something maybe, not sure.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Ok, I have it running with about a dozen mods removed. However, I can run it with ONLY those mods installed as well. So, maybe it's just that those happened to be the mods I added back last. It does seem like there are just too many mods. But I've seen other modpacks with the same mods installed plus a ton more, and they run fine. I really don't get it.

Log: http://www.mediafire.com/view/ptkc94dcuw03x88/fml-server-1(2).log
And another one: http://www.mediafire.com/view/e8h44dj0dddk8dy/fml-server-latest.log[DOUBLEPOST=1413495346][/DOUBLEPOST]I can't help but feel there's something really obvious I'm missing.

Last edited:

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Turns out I had to remove all CoFH mods, PneumaticCraft, ExtraBees, and Applied Energistics. Funny, these are all mods the have been recently re-written and still in early alpha.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
still in early alpha.

Where's my "Well there's yer problem" gif?

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
What I still don't understand, though, is why they all run perfectly well in singleplayer, but not on a server. :\

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I would personally remove all resonant and UE mods as they are still way alpha as far as I can tell. How are you setting the permgen for the server? I don't see any arguments at the beginning of the log showing you upped it to 128 or anything extra. I have a server running fine with the 4 mods you removed so I don't think it's those mods that are causing the issue, it's just removing those mods free'd up enough memory for everything else to load up as well.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
The only UE mod I have is MFFS, which is pretty stable. I have had problems with Resonant induction and ICBM though, hence their exclusion.

Really? That would certainly explain it, if my batch file wasn't passing the parameters properly. I have "startserver.bat" with the following code in it:
Code:
java -jar forge-1.7.10-10.13.1.1222-universal.jar -d64 -Xms2G -Xmx2G -XX:PermSize=256M nogui

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I can't real the logs from where I am, so I can't see the Java version. As such its worth noting that Java 1.8 does NOT support -XX:permSize despite in practice still requiring it.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Java 1.8? I have "Java 7 update 65 (64-bit)" and "Java 6 update 26 (64-bit)"

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
1. java -version will tell you which one is being used.
2. Java has been version 1.x for so long that the one is omitted: Java 1.7 is referred to as Java 7
3. At any rate, with those versions, it doesn't appear to be the java version at fault. Bleeding edge Java 7 is at update 71, but hell, I run update 55 with no problems.