Problem Server Overload/100% CPU RAM usage/ Can't keep up message

gamesetonline

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
I am running a Yogcraft modpack (untouched, no additional mods) on a hosted server (not running on my computer) through McMyAdmin panel. It's specs: 2.2GB Dedicated RAM, 3.2GB Burst RAM. It was all running pretty smoothly, without a single lag for weeks now. After tonight I came back on the server and it was laggy as .... So I went into console (mcmyadmin) and saw the message 'Can't keep up, is the server overloaded...' . So I thought someone would have accidently or on purpose placed too many machines, complicated circuits or whatever else and that is lagging the server. The console doesn't output anything else important/unusual than that message. I have tried to explore the map a bit (mainly player's bases) to see if there isn't overflowing chest or something like that but nothing found.

I have once met with the overflowing chest problem on my server and it was lagging my computer aswell (fps around 2-3) but it's not this case. I am getting smooth fps except the 'network' lag the server has. I don't know really, you might help.
So again,
It's running on Yogcraft modpack 1.0.0, on hosted server (not my local computer) so I have McMyAdmin access and FTP indeed, I have control over VPS aswell. The CPU and RAM Usage is around 50 and 70 but often jumps to 100% and stays there for quite long time, it's unplayable.
Removing world is the last thing I would like to do, as the players would be pissed off.
Installing plugins like WorldEdit or so might help me to identify problem, but I'm not sure if FTB can run bukkit in the same time.
Edit1: I have just tried running the same map and everything the same just with CraftBukkit.jar instead of the feed-the-beast.jar and it was running without any CPU and RAM overload, everything fine.

Could anyone tell me, which mod uses files "forcedchunks.dat" ? It's the source of my massive CPU usage and lag.

Thanks for any help,
Jacob

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
idk ... There are such dumb people running servers sometimes :p
Do you allow chunkloaders on your server ? if yes , try doing /chunkloaders and it will open a window that will show all the loaded chunks
( not sure yogcraft thing has chicken chunks )

Reactions: Dingham

gamesetonline

Jul 29, 2019
Could anyone tell me, which mod uses files "forcedchunks.dat" ? It's the source of my massive CPU usage and lag.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
It's what loads chunks. Chicken Chunks, Railcraft(world anchors), any other mod that keeps chunks loader. If you look in the file, it even say so.

Like Lightknight said, your CPU is been taxed, probably due to the 771 chunks been loaded and all the crap going on in there. And agree with Lightknights first comment.

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
Disable the usage of chunkloaders or buy a better server , on my own server i had over 2000 chunks loaded and it wasn't a problem .

Naolas

Jul 29, 2019
A single chunk could be enough to cause a high load. What you need is some way to profile what is causing it.
TickThreading has some excellent profiling options.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...le-entity-ticks-and-other-optimisations.6498/
  1. Make copy of your server
  2. Install TickThreading (grab the latest)
  3. Do a /profile e 60 and see if there are any culprits
  4. /ticks is also great to see if there are certain regions
It could be as simple as a couple routers trying to serve a large number of machines.

gamesetonline

Jul 29, 2019
You were right, I didn't think of checking the config files. I disabled all world anchors, carts and chicken chunk loaders etc. So I hope it will be alright. Today I have ran into the lag again - I deleted the forcedchunks.dat but it didn't help. It started lagging in one chunk where one player was. So I moved there to check it but it lagged us out. So I had to delete my personal file (.dat) to remove myself from the region and it didn't lag anymore. It's very confusing, like if some chunks were corrupted somehow. But nothing visible, neither in-game neither in console.

DarkMukke

Jul 29, 2019
You are talking about 2 things here :
1. the message 'Can't keep up, is the server overloaded...'
2 forced chunks

1. referes to the tickrate and has to do more with CPU then RAM
i can tell you it happens on my server too(dual quad core 3.2 Ghz) and there isnt much visible lag untill you see timers not acting as they should and stuff
2. refers to chunks loaded in the ram, you say your server has 2GB ram, should be plenty, for 1-5 users, how many users tho ?