Problem Server lags with good hardware?

N

neo1337

So as sayn in the title ive some seroius problems with my FTB:Infinity Evolved sever, the main problem realy is that i just play with like 6 friends and the sever sometimes lags as hell or times us out and then i get this "Server Tickrate loop exeption". So im asking here if maybe somebody knows why this happens... Its a hosted Root server btw.

Specs:
Ubuntu Linux 17.04
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz, 6 cores
500GB SSD
30GB RAM
4GB Virtual RAM
Level 3 Connection 10 GB/s
At normal use with the Server weve like 40% used of the CPU.

I hope someone of u guys have an idea, i would realy appreicate every help.

mc.crab

Feb 2, 2013
16GB assigned is too much and most likely the cause of the lag spikes when Java GC starts freeing memory. Try reducing it to 4-6GB.

N

neo1337

But doent the mods need very much ram? I heard some servers even have like 20GB.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
but those servers also have a huge world, with a lot more players then you and thus most likely also a faster CPU than you.
2.1GHZ isn't that much for modded minecraft and though the 6 cores are nice, minecraft can only make use of one. Maybe 2 if the GC is running and you use the correct settings. This leaves you with one core for the OS and the rest is doing nothing.

Having said that, minecraft now technically uses separate threads for dimensions however this is most of the time irrelevant as most if not everyone just builds in the overworld resulting in threads for the nether, end and other mod dimensions (assuming they are also running in separate threads ) not having anything to do and thus your CPU cores are still mostly idling.

My guess is thus that the tool you uses to check CPU usages checks overall usage rather then per core. If you use something like "top" you can see the CPU usage of a program per core. 100%=1 core, 200%=2 cores, etc,etc.

Additionally, without logs we can't do much to look for the problems and the above is just guesswork.

N

neo1337

Hm ok i guess i have to play a little bit with the ram, still thank u at all guyz. <3