Solved Server lag - SOLVED: Forge 490 is incompatible with redpower 2! Update forge!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

StoneShifter

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

i m hosting a (Direwolf20) server on my PC (i tried other mod-packs and they lagged also/ we are only 3 persons on the server). If you connect with the ip (not the lan one) it is lagging (not the frames). This lag is like extreme hard block-lag (you have to destroy a block and wait like 1 min until it drops/ you die and you can still walk around) without an overloaded server (even when only 1 person is online it is so annoying that you can not play). But if i connect via "localhost" everything runns smoothly!? Btw some weeks ago everything worked perfectly.

I already switched the firewall on/off and changed the port.
Also i m using the tick threading mod and i m starting the server with
Code:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx2G -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=6 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp ftbserver.jar -jar ftbserver.jar nogui
but it did not help at all.

Java is also up to date.

my Pc:
Win 7 x64
Intel Core i7 990x 6x 3,4 Ghz
12 Gb ram
gtx 580 1.6 GB
Motherboard. ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D PREMIUM (LGA1366)
2485641906.png

Any help is appreciated.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
if you connect to your external ip you will have lag issues
your internet upload is not fast enough, you want a min of 1m/s per user

StoneShifter

Jul 29, 2019
yeah i thaught that too but why did it work two weeks ago? It was running without any lag with more than 5 persons.
And it s at the moment only 1 person who connects via external ip and it laggs like hell.

leonel

Jul 29, 2019
on lan, all have 100mbps to 1gbps , but outsiders seems to share 0.87mbps of your connection. since u gotta upload the map info to him/them and depending on builds 0.87 will not be enough specially if have red alloy wires ticking on 0.2 or too long

leonel

Jul 29, 2019
a higher upload speed would make it better. the bottleneck is the 0.87mbps of the host machine. maybe could also be a port problem. have add the host ip in DMZ setting on routers/modems (dmz make all data be send to host ip with no delay or check a general port openeing)
test dmz if it stop lagging it is a port issue. don't leave dmz unless u have a good antivirus since it will allow data in all ports

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Ok said it before Ill say it again. I'm pretty new to all this Minecraft/mods/textures stuff.
But I got to ask the question! Why on earth would a minecraft Server be uploading to a Client???
As leonel said 0.87 upload is pretty low for big data transfers. Wouldnt it be more prudent for the client to be downloading Info from the server? As we all know DL speed is a hell of a lot faster than UL speed.

Has to be a port Issue. My router Port Forwarding dosn't work... i have another option which is Port Trigger which is what I have to modify to get server working.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
But I got to ask the question! Why on earth would a minecraft Server be uploading to a Client???

Maybe because you want the data to reach the client, so the client also knows that the blocks break / mobs are there ;)

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe because you want the data to reach the client, so the client also knows that the blocks break / mobs are there ;)
Granted! But that can't be that much data on a server with three people. 0.87 should be plenty shouldn't it. Of course the server has to send some info. Maybe youll have to explain to me how much data 400 entities in a what 64x64 block is, x,y,z cords of each entity. Whats that about 2bytes per entity? 3 people changing a block at the same time No idea.
Sorry not trying to be sarcastic I'm really quite interested.
How much info can be expected to be Uploaded to a client when theres only 3 people and No machines? New Spawn.

StoneShifter

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for your answers!

i ll test DMZ today and tell you if it worked or not. But if my mate can connect to the server why is sth. wrong with the port?

on lan, all have 100mbps to 1gbps , but outsiders seems to share 0.87mbps of your connection. since u gotta upload the map info to him/them and depending on builds 0.87 will not be enough specially if have red alloy wires ticking on 0.2 or too long

Yeah thats true. But only one "outsider" is playing on the server and why did it worked some weeks ago? It is the first time that lag appeared on my server. BTW its a new map - no server load at all.

I just can not understand why it is not working anymore. So i assume that the internet connection itself is not the problem but it is something softwaresided.

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Granted! But that can't be that much data on a server with three people. 0.87 should be plenty shouldn't it. Of course the server has to send some info. Maybe youll have to explain to me how much data 400 entities in a what 64x64 block is, x,y,z cords of each entity. Whats that about 2bytes per entity? 3 people changing a block at the same time No idea.
Sorry not trying to be sarcastic I'm really quite interested.
How much info can be expected to be Uploaded to a client when theres only 3 people and No machines? New Spawn.

I have monitored my uploadrate with my dw20v5 server. It's jumping between a few kb/s till 1Mbit/s per player connected at that point. (good thing i have 100/100mbit connection). Why i have no idea. There are some theories between people on the boards that certain mods are causing this. Which seems valid since the vanilla servers don't have these big jumps.

Guess for the connections to stabilise we have to wait till 1.5.0 release since there will be a major change to the actual entitiy render methode on the client, maybe this will cause the connections to stabelise.

StoneShifter

Jul 29, 2019
heyz^^

tested DMZ and it did not help.

But instead i set up a mc vanilla server and there was no lag for my friend who connects via external ip.

I think it has to be a ftb mod who just need more data transfer. So i disabled some mods until the lag was gone. Finally the troublemaker was redpower 2 (not it s world generation which i "disabled" :D).

in this case Redpower is definitly the mod which cause the problem. Can sb confirm that? Is it possible to use an older version of redpower which does not lag?

I ll try to get Redpower to work whithout lag. Has sb. an idea which part of redpower could cause that? And the world-gen is not the problem, as i disabled it already.

EDIT: may the problem be resulted by redpower which is actually for MC 1.4.6?! and we are playing on mc 1.4.7??

So could i just use the 1.4.6 server??!

Qway

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently we found a solution: Redpower isnt fully compatible with the current Forge Version. We updated Forge and now everything works ;)