Problem Server lag, even on fresh build

skwisgaar618

Jul 29, 2019
I have a server running DW20 v5
There is constantly slow chunkloading.
When others are on with me, even only one other, they bounce around like they are lagging but they arent
Mobs are like that to, very bouncy.

I have tried clean builds as well, same issue.

Specs are
Dedicated:
Quadcore AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition 940 3.02
8 gig mem
Win7 64
Java 7u11 x64

The server is on my local network and i still have the effects.

my startup bat is:
java -server -Xincgc -Xmx5G -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2048 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc -oss4M -ss4M -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:parallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -cp ftbserver.jar -jar ftbserver.jar

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

brandon706

Jul 29, 2019
1. What kind of storage drive do you have?
2. The bouncing around mobs may be due to your cpu. You are bottle necking your cpu with all that ram.

skwisgaar618

Jul 29, 2019
so i need to lower the ram?

it is a regular 7200 rpm drive. Does solid state make that much of a diff?

brandon706

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's up to you.. Lowering your ram to 6gb will have no noticeable difference. Let's say that your cpu will only take full use of your ram up to 4gb.. Allocating 8gb wont make a difference. Im am unsure of those exact numbers, just using it as an example.

Read this.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-any-server-owner-must-read.6010/#post-119976

I noticed a big difference between an ssd and an hdd. I am assuming you are running this from your home computer. A drive can only read and write so fast. So if you are running a server and something else is running, it decreases the amount of read/write speeds that you will have with your server.

I didn't have this issue with a 7200rpm drive, Does this tend to happen when people are exploring?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Whats your internet upload and download speed, you need pretty good connection to host a server.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Upload speed is lacking a bit, nothing to worry about, but get a tier upgrade from your ISP if you can afford it, and they offer it. Also, a SSD would do wonders for chunk loading performance, something like the Samsung 830 or 840. Not advertising, just saying, make sure you go with a newer SSD, they get better with each generation.

brandon706

Jul 29, 2019
Well If he is playing on a server that is hosted behind the same connection with only 2 people online, including himself. It shouldn't be lagging like that. But, your speeds are a little slow.

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
A server with 4 players won't see memory usage above 2GB unless you hit a massive memory leak somewhere (which would likely crash the server or require a restart) or you have dozens of chunk loaders all around the world, putting a larger memory allocation will only serve to have more for the CPU to deal with.

Also your launch options are extremely aggressive, and could be compared to aggressive optimizations when compiling with linux, aka, 5% performance increase for 50% more likely to be completely unstable and unusable. Try using a standard batch file to launch it with 2GB of memory allocated and see if this fixes your issues.

Dekar

Jul 29, 2019
Seconding the above poster.
I would seriously consider getting rid of all your java parameters you are trying to use as a test to make sure none of those are causing the issue.

Use the default 2gb or 4gb script that comes with the pack and see if that makes any difference.