Server Hosting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
M

MonkeyManofLife

Hello, I was wondering if I am setting up a server with a couple friends for all kinds of FTB modpacks, what hosting should I use and how much ram and stuff?

Thanks!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Don't bump threads - especially not one that's not even 24hours of age.

If you haven't got a answer, then no one knows, or the "right" person hasn't been on the forum since you posted - have some patience.

Hello, I was wondering if I am setting up a server with a couple friends for all kinds of FTB modpacks, what hosting should I use and how much ram and stuff?
That's like asking what car to buy.

Regarding memory:
Check the recommended amount for the pack you want to play, then make sure the server have around 1-2gb more (you'll want some for the os and other stuff as well).
Depending on how many players you're going to have the amount of ram needed might be even higher.
If you can afford, SSD is prefered over HDD.

About location:
Find one close to where you and your friends live, to keep latency at a minimum - then use a search engine to find out if that hoster is a good one or not.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Not trying to advertise for any particular company, but I have used Beastnode a few times. I have heard for 1.10+ packs, your computer should have at least 8gb ram, so if you are hosting a pack off sight, depending on the number of mods and the number of players, I woudn't do anything under 12gb for a mid size pack with 5 or less people. If you are going to run heavy packs like SevTech, Beyond, or Enigmatica, you will want more probably. Start with what the host recommends, add 2gb to it, then scale up if you get lag. Hope that helps a little.

Disclaimer: I am not a server expert, just a trying to help.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Not advertising as well, but my minecraft servers have been hosted by minecraftserver.net.

I've got a vanilla server and a DW20 1.12.2 server running quite smoothly, though the moded one is a bit more expensive