Server host recommendation & Setup

Viperidae

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings!

I'm thinking on setting up a good, stable FTB Monster server. OVH was recommended to me, I took a look and got interested in the VPS Classic 4. http://www.ovh.pt/vps/vps-classic.xml

I'll use FTB Monster with some other mods, making a total of 214 mods and I'd like to host it to 30 people, or more if possible.

My doubt is: do you think this host is any good? Are the system specs enough to match my requirements?

With nothing more in advance.

José Sá.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use a VPS for FTB Monster especially OVH they use AMD processors. However OVH has got to be the cheapest dedicated server host in the market, almost nobody can compete against them. As for Monster id recommend using a E3 CPU or a very high end i7 like the 4970. For hosting look around soyoustart.com/us as see if they have any E3 servers as they will have them cheaper then any host and FREE DDOS PROTECTION of well over 20GB/s since it uses the OVH network, puts intrepid to shame IMO.

All of that is because the VOS specs aren't good enough but OVH and soyoustart are very reliable and their support is getting better too :).

Viperidae

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use a VPS for FTB Monster especially OVH they use AMD processors. However OVH has got to be the cheapest dedicated server host in the market, almost nobody can compete against them. As for Monster id recommend using a E3 CPU or a very high end i7 like the 4970. For hosting look around soyoustart.com/us as see if they have any E3 servers as they will have them cheaper then any host and FREE DDOS PROTECTION of well over 20GB/s since it uses the OVH network, puts intrepid to shame IMO.

All of that is because the VOS specs aren't good enough but OVH and soyoustart are very reliable and their support is getting better too :).

I took a look at soyoustart, as you said, but it is just too damn expensive.

Is really a VPS out of the equation?

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
There are other VPS hosts that offer E3 processors and I'll let you search for them as it's your server however there are no dedicated servers that can run FTB cheaper then the ones from Soyoustart so if you want dedicated to there, however creeperhost I belive uses E3 processors and is a good place to check out. They are the official sponsors of FTB too.

If you setup a good server and can advertise correctly and make it appealing to people you can Probably get enough to pay for it, though I would not push donations your first month up as the first month you probably won't get much,

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
You should avoid a VPS, you are sharing CPU cores with tons of other customers and will see your performance vary greatly. Pick up a low end server through OVH/SYS/Kimsufi and you will be much happier in the long run.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
You should avoid a VPS, you are sharing CPU cores with tons of other customers and will see your performance vary greatly. Pick up a low end server through OVH/SYS/Kimsufi and you will be much happier in the long run.

You can get a VPS with guaranteed dedicated cores/Ghz, a good VPS provider who actually does this with SSD storage won't be cheap but it will cost less than a quality dedicated server. However after a few GB of memory then yea it worth getting a decent dedicated server as it will be more bangs for your bucks.

Reactions: RSNET-Radic

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
You can get a VPS with guaranteed dedicated cores/Ghz, a good VPS provider who actually does this with SSD storage won't be cheap but it will cost less than a quality dedicated server. However after a few GB of memory then yea it worth getting a decent dedicated server as it will be more bangs for your bucks.

Do you know of any providers that only put 4 VPS on a Haswell CPU or any E3 CPU so that each VPS has a dedicated core?

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know of any providers that only put 4 VPS on a Haswell CPU or any E3 CPU so that each VPS has a dedicated core?
I suggested a VPS due to the limite budget.

I think creeperhost and the fragnet "VDS" do that however I'm not entirely sure.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
It obliviously said "dedicated core(s)" on their VDS packages however I am no idea what CPUs they use for them.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Fragnet uses E3-1270V2 processors for the VDS Packages.

Ahh alright, since there are only 4 physical cores per CPU and the fact that you can only have one of those per server they must be selling their VDSes by the logical cores since they have packages up to 6 "cores". However they should say that instead of "dedicated CPU core(s)" because other than that I don't know how you would sell that on those CPUs. (they say that they have a "strict" policy on never overloading servers)

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
OVH/SYS/Kimsufi is the way to go if you're looking for dedicated servers in the ultra budget range. Just be prepared as the support with those companies is minimal to none. The Kimsufi line doesn't even give you access to a help desk, just support over a forum, but it's a steal for what they offer.

Redruzerkruzer

Jul 29, 2019
I use OVH (aka, soyoustart, same company though), made a review here: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/server-hosts-a-host-review.43340/

OVH is amazing.. No one can compete with them, and they would be your best option. VPS on the other hand... I feel like you would have many issues with that.

EDIT: Read the guy above me... OVHs/sys support is by far the BEST support i have ever had the pleasure to deal with. They will not help you with software. However anything that involves them such as hardware/network, they will be willing to do what it takes to make you happy. During the night/weekdays i usually get a response within 30 minutes. During prime time it is within 2 hours. Very nice tech guys.

Reactions: Johnson