server help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DEVGRU

Jul 29, 2019
15 Gigs SHOULD be good. Just get more whenever you can.
Now. I'm faced with a real conundrum. See. I see the server I want. However. Now I have to chose my memory (ram) for 20-30 players. What would be an optimum amount of RAM. Without going over board. I still need a website xD

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
You just asked the same question that you quoted the answer for.

15-16GB should be a decent start, however that completely depends on what those 20-30 players are doing.

With 20-30 players on, your CPU is probably going to end up being a bigger bottleneck than your ram though.

What type of budget are you looking at spending, and wanting to build your own server vs renting one?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

DEVGRU

Jul 29, 2019
You really only need a 3 Ghz processor. That much I know. Basically what I plan on doing is getting a 4GB ram card. And using that for "allocated space" for mcpc+ and have 3 16gb cards for the rest. Then 2 500gb SSD's for space. And I'd still have quite a few open slots to upgrade ram in the future. And for the processor I've chosen the
"Xeon® E5-2643 v2 3.50GHz, 25M Cache, 8.0GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 6C, 130W, Max Mem 1866MHz"
That my current build for the most important stuff. What do y'all think? And suggestions for improvements?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I do understand where your coming. Not buying brand name servers. However money isn't much of a problem. And I'd prefer to buy from a company like dell. Where I can get 50% off from my companies discount. And I'd load it up with Linux. And go from there. And for the 50mb/s is that upload or download?

Well it's not even money. Building your own machine allows you to understand what's happening with your machine when things go wrong. You can be your own technician, instead of phoning up the companies slow ass customer service.

You as the administrator should take the time to understand what you're dealing with, since you are responsible if it goes down.

DEVGRU

Jul 29, 2019
Well it's not even money. Building your own machine allows you to understand what's happening with your machine when things go wrong. You can be your own technician, instead of phoning up the companies slow ass customer service.

You as the administrator should take the time to understand what you're dealing with, since you are responsible if it goes down.
Yes. I do perfectly understand. And that would be preferred. But I'm not a tech pro. I know a fair amount. But I'm no where near being able to build my own stuff. Which is why I chose that option. But it's still way in the future. So there's still time to learn the basics.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Building your own server is the same as building your own computer. I am not a tech pro either, but built my own computer.

It'll also give you the opportunity to tweek/upgrade your system by yourself.

DEVGRU

Jul 29, 2019
Very true. But it seems like it would cost me a lot more money in the long run. Having to buy all the parts. And the bug name companies (dell. Etc) get a discount on them.

DEVGRU

Jul 29, 2019
Very true. But it seems like it would cost me a lot more money in the long run. Having to buy all the parts. And the bug name companies (dell. Etc) get a discount on them.
Oh? Well then. That throws a tire iron in my plan. Lol. For the better. Now. To figure out what parts I need to make the thing

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I mean for a server. Lol

Same stuff. A server is a computer. Your essentially building a desktop computer without the high end graphics card.[DOUBLEPOST=1398378358][/DOUBLEPOST]
You really only need a 3 Ghz processor. That much I know. Basically what I plan on doing is getting a 4GB ram card. And using that for "allocated space" for mcpc+ and have 3 16gb cards for the rest. Then 2 500gb SSD's for space. And I'd still have quite a few open slots to upgrade ram in the future. And for the processor I've chosen the
"Xeon® E5-2643 v2 3.50GHz, 25M Cache, 8.0GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 6C, 130W, Max Mem 1866MHz"
That my current build for the most important stuff. What do y'all think? And suggestions for improvements?

You don't allocate certain applications to certain memory sticks, that is entirely up to the operating system. All your sticks should be identical so they run at the same speed, voltage, and in dual or quad channel mode. Also, that processor is a terrible waste of money. The higher end server processors have lower clock speeds and more cores which is not ideal for Minecraft. You want higher speeds where possible.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
number of cores makes no difference with minecraft.

in the desktop world, Intel GHz are faster than AMD GHz -- so a 4Ghz Intel chip will run faster than a 4Ghz AMD chip, but of course the AMD chip will cost less.
You get what you pay for.
GHz=GHz it depends on the architecture, model, etc for example a 1240v3 beats a 1245v3 simply because of the way its designed, not by GHZ. a 3.4GH1270v3 dominates over a [email protected] as the 3930k does have as good single threaded performance.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Does the op plan on using mcpc+? Afaik that can run multithreaded, which I assume he is doing with more than 10 people on a server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk