Server help

geez012

Jul 29, 2019
so i was running a server for 2 weeks now and my friend and i have been playing on it and for some reason he cant connect, it says " failed to connect to the server" " connection timed out"

any ideas what is wrong?

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
Did you mix the logs perhaps? His log says it connected to server. Also, use the button on the console to send log in pastebin, those are missing information that you have now.

geez012

Jul 29, 2019
i did do that, my log is the top one and i can connect fine, his is the bottom and it says he cant reach server

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
Umm, but top one's log says nothing, not even launching the game.
Bottom one shows it connected to server.

Can you see why Im bit lost on this problem...

Can you start the server and when its up, use the pastenin button on console. Now try to connect on the second computer to this server and if it fails, upload log in console to pastebin too.

geez012

Jul 29, 2019
i just start the server and than my friend joins, i assumed thats all you do, if im doing something wrong id love to know

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
Im trying to understand your process, so

1. You start Minecraft
2. Load a world save
3. Click the Open to LAN option
4. Start Minecraft on his computer
5. Click multiplayer
6. Add server and put in right IP-address of the server
7. Select the server on list and connect

Those are the steps to accomplish what you want.
Did you install any new firewall or antivirus software that could block connection?

geez012

Jul 29, 2019
yes i do all that but i dont click open to lan, it doesnt let me click that and no we were playing fine one night nd the next day it didnt let him join

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
I guess MC defaults to server in the background and others can join in same network (bit weird tbh), must have changed or you are doing something different.

Try getting the IP-address of your computer by openin command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" and it should show you it (something like 192.168.11.xx).

300px-Ipconfig_win_xp.png

Write it down and then start your client and load world, the on friends computer click multiplayer and add server. Give it name and put the IP-address there, save and connect to it by doubleclicking the name or choosing it and click connect (it also should get green gauge next to name indicating your server is ok).