Server hardware discussion. Any server Owner Must Read !

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
100% agreed, stick to an Intel Xeon E3 series (v1, v2, or v3). You should be able to find the V1s for around the same price as those older Dual Xeons, but will be worlds better for Minecraft.

I slightly disagree. For home servers, the most efficient chip makes sense. Its likely to be a small server requiring less performance and the power bill matters. For server hosts like your employer(or maybe you own the company, fuck if I know), the Xeon chips make sense because you have cheap power and your customers could be wanting to host larger servers.

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
I slightly disagree. For home servers, the most efficient chip makes sense. Its likely to be a small server requiring less performance and the power bill matters. For server hosts like your employer(or maybe you own the company, fuck if I know), the Xeon chips make sense because you have cheap power and your customers could be wanting to host larger servers.

Xeon E3s are direct equivalents of Core i5/i7 chips, except they support ECC memory and are available without the onboard graphics controller. Xeon E3 V1 = i7 2700, Xeon E3 V2 = i7 3700, Xeon E3 V3 = i7 4700

There are some exceptions, the 122X chips are i5s.

Last edited:

HSIkMy

Jul 29, 2019
How many players can I handle with these:
Mac Mini Computer late 2013
1. HDD with enough storage room(at most 25GB for the server accepted)
2. Windows 10 Technical Preview(May update to Beta in a week)
3. 10 GB RAM, 4 GB can be used on the server, while the system itself uses up 2GB and another 4GB is reserved for my client
4. Intel Core i7-3615QM @2.30GHz
5. Custom mod pack with similar size to Feed The Beast Monster or ATLauncher DNS Tech Pack: 170 mods in the mods folder and 210 mods shown in-game. May delete some unnecessary world gen mods to reduce lag.
Including: Thermal Expansion 3, Industrialcraft 2, Mekanism, Minefactory Reloaded, Rotarycraft, PneumaticCraft, Gany's Surface + Nether + End, Millenaire, Forge Microblocks, Project: Red, Biomes O' Plenty, Plants Mega Pack(May delete), and many more. Version 1.7.10

Edit: Does not include Mystcraft but includes RFTools, another mod that gives you the ability to create and customize a dimension, although it's more late-game and don't have as much "instablity" with causes lag.

Reactions: McJty

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
How many players can I handle with these:
Mac Mini Computer late 2013
1. HDD with enough storage room(at most 25GB for the server accepted)
2. Windows 10 Technical Preview(May update to Beta in a week)
3. 10 GB RAM, 4 GB can be used on the server, while the system itself uses up 2GB and another 4GB is reserved for my client
4. Intel Core i7-3615QM @2.30GHz
5. Custom mod pack with similar size to Feed The Beast Monster or ATLauncher DNS Tech Pack: 170 mods in the mods folder and 210 mods shown in-game. May delete some unnecessary world gen mods to reduce lag.
Including: Thermal Expansion 3, Industrialcraft 2, Mekanism, Minefactory Reloaded, Rotarycraft, PneumaticCraft, Gany's Surface + Nether + End, Millenaire, Forge Microblocks, Project: Red, Biomes O' Plenty, Plants Mega Pack(May delete), and many more. Version 1.7.10

Edit: Does not include Mystcraft but includes RFTools, another mod that gives you the ability to create and customize a dimension, although it's more late-game and don't have as much "instablity" with causes lag.

There are several factors asides from this. What kind of upload speed does your home internet connection have? Will the server be running FastCraft? What view distance is the server set to?

I would hesitantly say 5 people without knowing any of the other information.

KonZone

Jul 29, 2019
Hello guys, so basically I have this PC that is a couple of years old and I'm thinking if it will be able to
run a Direwolf20 modded server for 2 people.
The specs are:
Motherboard: AMD 780G
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 7450 @ 2,4GHz
Memory: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
Storage: Kingston SSDNow v300 60GB + WD Blue 500GB
Internet: 100/100Mb/s
What do you guys think? Is this doable or am I just way off? If it is somewhat doable, is there any settings that
could be tinkered with to make the server run better in case the game isn't running smooth enough?
Thanks for replies.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
It might be able to do it. One of my spare laptops is about 15% faster and its staying under 30ms per tick for 2 people with mid-game setups. Make sure you have FastCraft, that helped a ton on both the clients and server.

shoptime

Jul 29, 2019
so i am putting a huge modpack together and am looking for a machine to handle it, threw work i can get one of there old Dell Poweredge r710 with two E5530 2.4ghz 24gb for almost nothing, 100 dollars. ialready have a ssd for it. For the price its a good server, but will it work as a minecraft server? from what i have been reading i dont know if the second processor does anything. Any thoughts?

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
so i am putting a huge modpack together and am looking for a machine to handle it, threw work i can get one of there old Dell Poweredge r710 with two E5530 2.4ghz 24gb for almost nothing, 100 dollars. ialready have a ssd for it. For the price its a good server, but will it work as a minecraft server? from what i have been reading i dont know if the second processor does anything. Any thoughts?

The quick answer is no. This is a first generation quad core, with very poor single threaded performance. You need to look at Xeon E3s, the newer the better.

Even a current generation Core i3 will shame that processor in Minecraft dedicated server performance.

Last edited:

shoptime

Jul 29, 2019
ok, thanks for letting me know about that, i might just get it for my webhosting computer, he does have another one it is more than i wanted to spend but how about a r720 with two e5-2650? its only running 2ghz, but it does have i think he said 64 gig of ram?

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
ok, thanks for letting me know about that, i might just get it for my webhosting computer, he does have another one it is more than i wanted to spend but how about a r720 with two e5-2650? its only running 2ghz, but it does have i think he said 64 gig of ram?

Minecraft is single threaded, so it can't take advantage of all of those cores. You want a CPU with the fastest single threaded performance. Here's a good reference point: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Note that this list is about 90% accurate (allow 10% for errors).

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
How many players? And what's the budget? You may be able to build a pretty good server yourself(trust me, it's easy.)

koyetsu

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna poke my nose into this discussion, yes i know it's been a few months since anyone posted.
If you don't need to host a ridiculous amount of clients, a cheap server with LGA771 processors in it will be just fine.
there is a lot more to running a server than sticking a huge expensive processor in it.
3 things to keep in mind,
first: if you are going to spend more than about $200 then drop $400 for an E3-1225v2 or v3 bare-bones from newegg. usually about 350-400$
second: always get the fastest processor you can at the least expensive price. I'm running dual x5450's at 3ghz in my server. i got that plus 32gb ram for $40 no drives.
and according to the cpu benchmark site posted above those processor have just under half the performance of a $350 processor and i got a 1u dual nic redundant power remote managed server for 300 less. just add hard drives
third: there are a lot of things you can do to take the load off your cpu. mod ftb packs come with serveradmintoolbox (think that's what it is called) first thing i do with a new server is use the pregenspawn command and tell it to do a radius of 1000 chunks...takes 5 mins. then unless you have compulsive wanderers the server will only have to spawn chunks in other realms (nether, end, mystcraft, etc)
also on server setup there are command line arguments that do a TON for performance and memory load. an example i just put FTB Infinity on my server and crated a new server. with no special java arguments. not even those in the serverstart.sh file it loads with just over 4gb ram in use. i pulled an expanded optimization from one of the server sites and started the server again, it loaded with 2.3 gb in use. also the difference between the 2 in very noticeable in game.

with my cheap server i've hosted 5 with very little problem. Honesty compels me to say that i wouldn't host MORE than 5 on it. i could see a difference from 1 to 5 ppl on it. but it was very playable.

my $.02

Koyetsu

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
first: if you are going to spend more than about $200 then drop $400 for an E3-1225v2 or v3 bare-bones from newegg. usually about 350-400$

second: always get the fastest processor you can at the least expensive price. I'm running dual x5450's at 3ghz in my server. i got that plus 32gb ram for $40 no drives.
and according to the cpu benchmark site posted above those processor have just under half the performance of a $350 processor and i got a 1u dual nic redundant power remote managed server for 300 less. just add hard drives
third:

serveradmintoolbox (think that's what it is called) first thing i do with a new server is use the pregenspawn command and tell it to do a radius of 1000 chunks...takes 5 mins. then unless you have compulsive wanderers the server will only have to spawn chunks in other realms (nether, end, mystcraft, etc)

i pulled an expanded optimization from one of the server sites and started the server again, it loaded with 2.3 gb in use. also the difference between the 2 in very noticeable in game.

Alright, I don't disagree with you entirely but there are some points that need expanding.

1. A bare-bones Xeon 1225 system costs $389 right now. Lenovo TS140 70A4001LUX. Only comes with 4GB of memory and no storage. Not terrible but not great.

2. Always get the best value processor, not the fastest for the lowest price. Some stuff is cheap for a reason. Dual 5450's has a pretty large power draw. Once again, not terrible but not great.

3. Excellent tip, pre-gen of worlds has always been very useful for servers, especially the large ones. Its easier than ever so I recommend it for everyone.

4. Be careful with JVM optimizations. A shocking number of people have no idea about what they actually do, there are quite a few ones I see that are redundant or even outright wrong for the hardware being used. The main things to be changing are garbage collection types and memory allocations. Things like PermGen, Class Unloading, JVM modes, and GC tuning should be left alone unless you know what you are doing.

Older hardware can be used for handfuls of smaller servers, especially because they usually come with a decent amount of memory. (Nice find on 32GB.) I personally suggest newer hardware for performance and longevity reasons. It lets you run larger servers, is easier to upgrade, consumes less power, makes less heat, and produces less noise.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $414.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-15 03:52 EDT-0400

koyetsu

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with what you are saying, that is why i pointed out the limitations that i have noticed on my hardware. i wouldn't host more than 5 on an FTB pack. just pointing out that for a small fun server you don't need to drop $400 you can easily get by sub 100. and the 5450's are power hogs but i put up with then cause they are a 1333 FSB and have 12MB cache i have some slower lga771 processors (like 2.2 or 2.4 dual cores) but if you go with older processors look for 3+ ghz and 12MB cache they have the actual horsepower to get most jobs that a hobbyist would need. one other tip, on older hardware, especially if you have a lot of excess ram (ergo my 32gb) you will be temped to virtualize (esxi, kvm, etc), don't. that is how i was running for a while but decided to get away from it as all i was doing was playing with my ubuntu server and i noticed a SIGNIFICANT performance boost on minecraft server just from that. think it has to do with the CPU scheduling even if it is only machine running and has been given all the resources.

To conclude if you have $400 laying around to drop on a server get a new one if not and you are just playing around with server with 1-5 people on it go cheap, have fun, learn lots.

minidude59

Jul 29, 2019
I plan on running sky factory 2 for myself and my friend my hardware specs
Vcard:gtx 970
Cpu:i7 4790k
Ram: 16gb

Internet speed
25 down
2 upl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I plan on running sky factory 2 for myself and my friend my hardware specs
Vcard:gtx 970
Cpu:i7 4790k
Ram: 16gb

Internet speed
25 down
2 upl

Your computer is fine but the upload speed is a little low. Make sure you aren't doing any heavy downloading or uploading while playing or your friend may have issues with chunks loading.

KYPremco

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i have a little problem and we just dont know where the problem is for an upgrade.
I think at the ram or the SSD that isnt 100% right anymore.
WE have sometimes the problem that server cant keep up, we already fixed already much better to low the ram usage in the bat file what is weird because he may use now 3GB of the 8 and he use already 3,5 without players.
processor usage is most of the time 10-50%
Write read speed : SeQ: Read: 130MB/s Write: 90MB/s || 4K : 13MB/s Read: Write: 40MB/s <- not sure what 4K means

Some specs : http://i.epvpimg.com/iomtb.png

Can someone give us a tip to improve the lag when there are mostly more players online/Exploring the word

koyetsu

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed this same issue on ft server run under windows. 2 things, look at Java optimizations and consider using Linux in some form. Even just moving the server into a linux vm helped when I ran my server under windows. Was much less likely to fall behind. If this is a dedicated machine I would just install favorite Linux and go. If not maybe dual boot it and go.