Server for FTB infinity - How much RAM?

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
So a friend of mine is going to start a server running FTB Infinity (With Mystcraft disabled), but he's confused about how much RAM he'll need.

The server's community is relatively small, avaragely 5 people at a time, max 10.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The server should have at least 8GB of RAM and about 4 GB dedicated to Java/FTB. More RAM helps the OS but you don't want to dedicate to much more than 4GB Java/FTB.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The server should have at least 8GB of RAM and about 4 GB dedicated to Java/FTB. More RAM helps the OS but you don't want to dedicate to much more than 4GB Java/FTB.
why 4 GB RAM for the OS?
Even windows works fine with 2 GB left assuming you don't do much else on it and after that giving it more is not going to do anything. That being said, if your friend is going to buy a new computer to host the server(thus NOT rent a server from stuff like creeperhost) I would recommend he buys one with at least 8 GB just so he has more room if he eventually also plans to use it for other stuff.

That being said, 4 GB for java will probably be enough, maybe if more people join you need more.

Internuntius

Jul 29, 2019
You can never say exactly how much RAM a server is needed. It depends on how many chunks are kept antive how many players, mods, etc etc etc ...
For my little DW20 server with a maximum of 3 players runs purely currently 16 GB RAM if no one is on-line ...
Must you always see yourself. If you think you know exactly wiele chunks will keep active, you skin directly purely more RAM.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
You can never say exactly how much RAM a server is needed. It depends on how many chunks are kept antive how many players, mods, etc etc etc ...
For my little DW20 server with a maximum of 3 players runs purely currently 16 GB RAM if no one is on-line ...
Must you always see yourself. If you think you know exactly wiele chunks will keep active, you skin directly purely more RAM.
You mean the java process uses 16 GB's of RAM?
I find this hard to believe, especially for 3 players. I got 1.7.10 modpacks to run okish with only 2 GB's allocated to the process.(4 GB is a lot better though)

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
It really depends on other factors of your infrastructure.
You probably think that it being a java based game/server - means that its operating requirements will be the same on linux and windows.
Windows is fairly sluggish and not responsive with regards to memory handling.
It has so many junk processes that run concurrently that steal CPU operation cycles from the java virtual machine.
Linux is however fairly good.

I think if you are using a Linux based server - you will be able to get away with more for less.
I currently have a FTB Infinity server running - its got 6GB Ram, and it was advertised by the hosting firm as being suitable for up to 120 players.
Based on the amount of contraptions and mystcraft worlds running with chunkloaders and the good performance so far- I have no reason to doubt that the 6GB could handle at least 50% of that load.

Note - I even ran my minecraft server initially in the cloud on Amazon AWS
While the performance there was not as good as what I have now - there are tricks I learned from operating on AWS on Ubuntu instances, that lets you give yourself larger swap sizes which simulates having higher ram allowances (20GB SSD completely dedicated to Swap/Ram). (These are tricks that premium hosts don't want you to have access to)

Ram is important, but we said before - it depends on the amount of chunks loaded per player/chunkloader. 16GB for a minecraft server would only be expected if you are one of those professional servers that have 1000+ players concurrently. I would be very surprised if it takes 16GB of ram for a Ubuntu running a minecraft server populated by 30 people or less.

The slowest operations you will typically find on a minecraft server are the backups and dimension loading.
You will usually get a faster dimension load (when going through a portal) - when the portal on the other side is kept alive by a chunk-loader. (On AWS, mystcraft zoning/dimension jumping - could end up DC me just due to the lag)
The side effect of this is that the dimension does not get backed up when players leave the dimension since the server doesnt register that the dimension is empty - you need to rely on scheduled backups.