Bug Server Crash with out of Memory, PoweredTierRecipe.java:102

pfeiferocks

Jul 29, 2019
I updated my Server to 2.0.1 with a map reset, after some lags and building a platform in the nether some ghasts attacked me with many lags and I fell out of the world and then I had a out of memory error.

I set my max from 2 (default) to 6 GB and it still crashs when I join.
log: https://pastebin.com/0rpBAszK

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Ive passed this log on. I cant see anything wrong on that so passing it on to someone more knowledgable than me. Wish I had better news.

Z

Zealut

Would additional logs help? This is also happening to me, rolled back to last backup, worked fine for about 30 mins then started doing it again. Crashes shortly after server finishes loading.

Changing the max memory allocation does not seem to help once the world has started doing this.

log: https://pastebin.com/cBJq4iUK

Anoyomouse

Jul 29, 2019
(Coder speak) Looking at it, this is the problem line (https://github.com/modmuss50/FTB-Ac...ftba/util/recipes/PoweredTierRecipe.java#L102)

And well, looking at the craftingTiers.json file, it's 179,062,548 bytes ... 170.77 MB

Basically it's trying to save a 170MB json file, and that's causing massive issues when saving, i've told my server that it can use up to 10GB on the heap, and it just crashed with: "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit"
Same place in the same line, the issue here is it was working yesterday, so yeah, going to try removing the file and trying again (i don't mind losing the achievements)

Anoyomouse

Jul 29, 2019
Okay (my previous post is currently on hold cause of a link to the sourcecode where the issue is) ..

a quick fix is: delete the craftingTiers.json file in your world save (or just rename it), and the server should boot

you may or may not lose your achievement progress, but that's better than having the server not starting up, right?

pfeiferocks

Jul 29, 2019
There are duplicate entry's in that file
In my new file there are 100 of
"recipeGroup": "Villager",
"teamID": "UNKNOWN",
"currentTier": 0
and 2 of
"recipeGroup": "resgen",
"teamID": "Red Team",
"currentTier": 3
I hope that would be fixed
actual size is 272KB

Update:

actual size is 2,64MB
1.000x
"recipeGroup": "Villager",
"teamID": "UNKNOWN",
"currentTier": 0
and 20x
"recipeGroup": "resgen",
"teamID": "Red Team",
"currentTier": 3

Last edited:
S

Silvertoken

Been pretty much constantly reproducing this bug for the last few hours now. I haven't figured out what is triggering it but the file is basically doubling in size each time it happens. When I review the file its basically just duplicating everything that is within it each time. Because of this the growth is exponential until it uses up all memory and you can't reload the server unless you replace this or delete it. I'm using a dedicated server and I have to restart the server and clean the file about once every 3 or 4 hours. In that time its about 100 to 200 MB in size.

Edit: Watching it the file grows in size when dimension -1 is loaded and unloaded. I watched the message appear on the server output and the file immediately grew from 11kb to 22kb.

Edit: I was able to limit the impact of this bug by removing any water falling near the nether portal. It seems that squid had been spawning and sometimes they would hit the portal and cause the nether to load and unload. When I removed the water the file only grows larger on each restart or when someone enters the nether now.

Last edited: