Problem Server CPU Usage Extremely High

AstralVoid

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running?
Window 7 Professional 64-bit
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft?
Personal Computer
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version)
Mindcrack 8.1.1
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack?
ForgeEssentials 1.1.1.251
  • What are your server specs?
Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM (4GB allocated to server, usually caps around 1-2GB total with 6 players max)
2x NVidia GeForce GTX 560 SLI
2593153032.png

• A good detailed paragraph about the problem
I'm not entirely sure if it is ForgeEssentials that caused the problem, but lately the server has been eating up huge numbers of CPU cycles even with only one or two players on after a certain amount of time (about 30 minutes to an hour). RAM usage does not increase, but it can spike in CPU usage anywhere from 30-80%, whereas it normally sat at around 20-40% during my usual maximum of six players or so before ForgeEssentials.

Restarting the server resolves the problem for a short time, but I used to be able to run the server for a few days at a time without issue. Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Java.exe is given High priorty in Task Manager.

Pastebin log of server startup:
http://pastebin.com/DNwrN8tL

Server startup code (I used to have a better .bat file but I can't find the commands I was looking for, considering I have the JDK installed and should be using the server files):
Code:
java -Xms4G -Xmx4G -jar ftbserver.jar

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
sounds a bit like a memory leak issue. It's been going around lots. Check out threads related to chicken bones chunk loaders.

King_Susanoo

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you need to research items that cause lag such as chunk loaders and quarries, and ban them. You're players will complain but tell to go play singleplayer. Also you should install a plugin that removes item drops at intervals because players are known to brake pipes with tons of items inside.

AstralVoid

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries and chunk loaders have been disabled, as quarries made the game entirely too easy, and I deleted Chicken Chunks entirely due to supposed memory leak issues. Previous servers I've run never used the chunk loaders (since World Anchors at least required some sort of upkeep and were much more limited) and didn't have the issue, so I guess it stands to reason it was the cause.

Any suggestions on the .bat file for use of such things as the ParallelGCThreads argument?

thr33p10

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries and chunk loaders have been disabled, as quarries made the game entirely too easy, and I deleted Chicken Chunks entirely due to supposed memory leak issues. Previous servers I've run never used the chunk loaders (since World Anchors at least required some sort of upkeep and were much more limited) and didn't have the issue, so I guess it stands to reason it was the cause.

Any suggestions on the .bat file for use of such things as the ParallelGCThreads argument?
I've been doing some experimenting on my Mindcrack Server (8.2.0) and found a nice few options to add to the bat file. You could try this as a starting point, and tune the memory figures or threads for GC (Garbage Collection), to suit. On a newly generated map file, I was seeing tick rates between 0.2 and 10.0 ms on my i7 2600K. Mostly, these options deal with enabling a concurrent garbage collector so that pause times are very rare, and quick, when they happen. I'm still learning about more of the available options myself, though, so please remember to backup your server's files before trusting this to solve your problems ;)

Just change the "ftbserver.jar" at the end to the name of the .jar file you need (if different)...

java -server -Xmx4G -Xms4G -XX:NewSize=1G -XX:MaxNewSize=2G -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xincgc -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:parallelGCThreads=4 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=90 -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSScavengeBeforeRemark -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=2000 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=1G -jar ftbserver.jar