Server CPU overload

Lukeno94

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running? Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft? Official FTB Unleashed server
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version) FTB Unleashed 1.1.3
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack? No
  • What are your server specs? Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.3 GHz, 12 GB of RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX670 2GB, 120 GB SSD (drive server is stored on)

A good detailed paragraph about the problem:
So, I'm trying to run a Feed the Beast server on my computer. Almost everything is fine; people are able to connect and play with minimal lag issues, there's almost always plenty of free RAM available (I tend to use -Xms4G -Xmx4G for the memory) and it seems fairly stable. However, it eats CPU (constantly 30-50%, occasionally spiking higher), and makes it impossible to play FTB on this computer whilst running the server; the FPS is always fine (60-100), and yet the game is unplayable due to severe graphical lag. I don't have any other system, bar a slow laptop that won't even run the server, to use; so is there a way of reducing the CPU load? The map is pretty much clean, with very little in the way of contraptions; a similar issue occurred with a brand-new world as well. I have no issues whatsoever with running Hexxit or vanilla Minecraft servers.

Solice2o0

Jul 29, 2019
Your problem is that your running it at your home on a computer that's not designed to run a server instance. As well, I wouldn't recommend running a server on your home network, as all it would take is one wrong person to get ahold of your IP and your screwed.

Lukeno94

Jul 29, 2019
That's not exactly helpful. There is no reason why my computer shouldn't be powerful enough to run the game and the server, and the IP thing isn't an issue for starters (there are multiple ways of avoiding the usage of a public IP, and who said it was a public server anyway?), and is not relevant anyway.

Last edited:

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm are you sure the server is using the Server VM and not the client one? Make sure you have the JDK version of whatever Java you have installed, so you can run the server using the -server flag.

Reactions: Lukeno94

Lukeno94

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using the FTB Unleashed server as downloaded directly from the FTB launcher. I do appear to have Java JDK, as a search in my start menu turns up something under that name; I may need to go and check properly though! Would the -server flag go in the .bat launcher?

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
Yup it should java -server [various flags] -jar nameofftbserver.jar nogui

nogui will stop the default minecraft gui from showing up and that can also help reduce server load.

Reactions: Lukeno94

Lukeno94

Jul 29, 2019
Well, those two flags made a massive difference, and now make it playable! Thank you very much! :)

Solice2o0

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, bud. No offence, but Feed the Beast Unleashed eats up CPU. So unless you're running it off a dedicated host, you're going to have to deal with it.

Lukeno94

Jul 29, 2019
Well, with the -server flag, as I said above, it runs fine. It's imperfect, but I can record with FRAPS and it's still more than playable.

Solice2o0

Jul 29, 2019
Feed the Beast alone eats up around 20-30% of your CPU, so 50% considering it's on your home computer seems just about right.