Problem Server Can't Keep Up

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Ok it's the hungry node I'm growing causing it this time...

But seriously what is with this pack and skipping ticks without using all available resources? There must be an underlying factor somewhere that's letting 2 completely different mods do this:/

its modded minecraft, what did you expect?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
its modded minecraft, what did you expect?

Ugh it's just driving me nuts atm. If you don't catch this soon enough you could be in big trouble because the cause doesn't show up in any profiler I've found and can be caused by a single block. The only way of tracking it down is deleting whatever you've done since the last point you know the server was ok, fine for me on my single player server but would be a nightmare on big ones. This will kill worlds.

EDIT: breaking and replacing the chunkloader on my node setup has completely solved the issue, so it's not the node itself.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH

Tethlah

Jul 29, 2019
-XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing does nothing but statistic logging. Isn't needed and extra processing.
-XX:+UseParNewGC is another type of Garbage Collector. UseParNewGC is typically used for applications that use < 1GB. G1GC handles large memory sizes with way greater optimized collecting times.
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled this is a bad choice for modding applications such as Minecraft. Most of Minecraft classes are called at runtime so when a garbage collection happens they'll be wiped out.

-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5 - This goes by percent of your min -Xms or heap size. This will start collect when the met occupancy min free size is met.
-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10 This goes by percent of your max -Xmx or heap size. This will start collect when the met occupancy max free size is met.

I wouldn't use none of the above as the defaults handle well for Minecraft.

Also, are you using Java 8?

I've tried using G1GC in the past, and it never works, I always have to use NewGC. I have a 12 core AMD proc with 32gigs of ram on 1gig line. No clue why it doesn't work for me. (using Java 8 build 25.45-b02)

BTW, here is what I'm currently using at startup:

-server -Xmx2000M -Xms16000M -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:parallelGCThreads=8 -XX:ConcGCThreads=2 -jar "{JAR}" nogui

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity 1.5.1 may have fixed the issue. Server still doesn't like the interface with crafting card thing but just ups the CPU usage and doesn't skip anymore. AE2 didn't update so I think it may have been Forge.

OR it's one of the following mods I removed:
Mystcraft
Hats
Hatstand
Headcrumbs