Searching for a FTB Server Hoster (VPS)

Kraven

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there,

I think I searched too much for a solution for my problem and now I'm more confused than before.

What I want: A good but cheap server to run FTB Unlimited on for me and a friend. I want the best power for as low money as possible. The server should also work if one or two more friends join us on the server and if we want to switch to FTB Unleashed, if we have played enough with Unlimited. We are located in Germany, so the server should run smooth in this area. It would also be nice to run additional services like a Teamspeak-Server on that server without extra cost.

What we went through:
First we wanted to host the Minecraft-Server at a small linux machine that is already running in my basement, but that machine has an older Atom-CPU and not much RAM and did not have enough power to host Vanilla, so we went looking for another solution.

After this we went to Aternos (http://aternos.org), but I'm not really satisfied with that solution. The price is okay (hey it is free), but to wait half an hour, when you want to play is not that good. And the stability of the server isn't that good either, a few days ago, the game crashed, because they hadn't have any space left on the hard disk which left me with a world with damaged chunks. Great stuff. So we decided to move to a better server and invest some money into renting one. And so my search and my confustion started.

First I found servers at Nitrado (http://nitrado.net) and ZAP-Hosting (http://zap-hosting.com) and there the price is okay (4-6 Euro per month), but I'm not sure if the servers are good enough. Even though they have good reviews, there are some reviews stating, the servers are good for small and few players but are not good enough for higher demands. Also the price goes up, when I want to play with more players or if I also want a TS-Server. So I'm not exactly sure, if those servers will do it for me and I searched for better servers.

After this I found Creeperhost and Fragnet (www.fragnet.net) which should be better, but I don't know which packet I require and they are more costly more than I initially wanted to pay.

On my search for a good solution I then found a link on youtube which suggests to rent a VPS-Server instead of a minecraft server:
This seems to make sense. To install the server myself would not be a problem and I could also run a small Teamspeak-Server on there without additional cost.

So now I searched for a good VPS hoster. The hosters I found all only say how much vcores the server has, but as I understand it, Minecraft only uses one CPU, so more vcores don't make a difference. The hosters don't give much information on how much power the vcores have and I don't find much information on how much power FTB Unlimited needs. And now I searched through many many hosters and I still don't know which server hoster fits my needs, at best in a price category around maximum 10 Euro a month (but less is better). E.g. at http://1blu.de there is the 1blu-vServer LX which should be usable for FTB if the CPU is good enough. There I get 2vcores 4GB RAM and 80GB SSD for 8 Euro/month.

So has anyone any recommendations for me and my needs. I'm in fear I searched too much and should have stick with the first solution I found :D.

Kraven

Jul 29, 2019
Which packet would be advisable from hetzner. Are the Cx10 or Cx20 sufficient?

I can see, that the traffic is limited, but I don't know how much traffic FTB Ultimate will generate when playing with 2 users.

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
With 1-4 players, you won't get close to the 1 tb most v-server providers give for free. Well if you get above 100GB its enormous for 4 players.
I don't know what cpu's hetzner is using with their v-servers and I don't know much care they take in terms of bad neighbors. But one thing I know for sure. If you are not experienced with linux it is the wrong host. They are a budget host and user support with software topics is not included.
About the amount of ram required, be warned that 2gb is probably not enough. A pack like unleashed requires 2-4 GB of RAM. If you deduct the amount the system and teamspeak uses you most likely run into a bottleneck. The low mem will keep your cpu busy with garbage collection (freeing up ram) and the server will quickly lag or at least have major lag spikes.

If you want a good experience talk to your friends and decide if you can invest a little more to get the resources you need. After all you probably pick a hoster where you can quit monthly. Hence it being maybe 20€ one time. (most don't have a server much longer)

About minecraft and single threading. Please don't take this too serious. Yes it is single threaded, but with forge and mods you often get a second core pretty utilized. So I would 2 cores as a bare minimum. But still the one main thread is the bottleneck so when you have the choice between cpu's: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

If you are looking for a V-Server provider where you can actually talk to the people (even on ts, even about software and minecraft related stuff) and with a good price-performance, you might wanna take a look at qloc. Though I would recommend to talk to them beforehand (call or team speak), to make sure that you get a v-server on their best (for minecraft) machine available. If you are experience with unix cli and server administration, talk to budget providers like hetzner and ask what hardware they use (cpu - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html) and how they keep neighbors in check. On top I would ask if it is possible to request server migration at any time without the need for a reason (so in case you are on a bad machine, you can move without cost). But don't expect much, most won't be able to tell you what hardware is used, as it is all mixed up and they can't tell on which servers you are being put..

What you pay extra for game server hosts, is for support in this area, for an easy to use control panel, for the managed servers, for auto backups included.. Ofc, this all depends from provider to provider, there are quite some where you get worse support and performance than if you would rent a v-server from a great provider.