Request Searcheable storage

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
T

TheLobster

Hi i'm looking for a searchable storage that can contain all my items.

Playing latest version of hermitcraft.

I've been looking at @RFTools modular storage, but can you searh across multiple storage units ?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

TheMagikarpGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Use Refined Storage. Make some drives (4 should be good to start), slap some discs into them, and access them through a grid (you can even use the crafting grid to have access to your storage and a crafting table together). This also opens the way to advanced automation.
If you don't have the resources, you can use Drawers connected with a Drawer Controller to an Inventory Panel from EnderIO, but you should really aim for rs, more than worth it.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Hi i'm looking for a searchable storage that can contain all my items.

Playing latest version of hermitcraft.

I've been looking at @RFTools modular storage, but can you searh across multiple storage units ?

Any other suggestions are welcome.
RFTools Modular Storage is able to store a great deal of inventory, and there is a block (can't remember the name) which will let you search all inventories in a definable range. Note that inventory in this case can be any inventory, including furnaces, TiCo Smelteries, Vanilla chests, Storage Drawers Controllers, machines, etc. (meant to test if it worked with ME Interfaces, but never got the chance). It was truly a powerful way to search your entire base's inventory. I found using Storage Drawers to be a bit buggy at one point (early in 1.10 development, occasionally pulling from a drawer would pull a stack and reduce stored amount to one), so use caution or check the bug trackers to see if it got squashed. I grew fond of using Actually Additions Storage Crates (they hold so much for a single block) since I could still find what I wanted without digging for it.

Also, there is a remote device which can link to your storage system for instant access to the entire group of searchable inventories while on the go - even across dimensions. It comes with a built-in crafting grid, and you can program a number of frequently used recipes for one touch crafting (works so well for nested crafting). I had a small issue with those stored recipes not respecting the oreDict, but it was simple enough to work around that I didn't really care.

Using RFTools Screens (and Screen Controller) you can set up visual item access (input and output) through the screen itself. I had a pair of large screens in my processing room displaying the quantities of raw ore on one and processed ingots on the other. If I needed a stack of ingots for a project, I could simply touch the screen and have it in my inventory. This saved me the hassle of having to search for commonly used items on a regular basis. What's nice too is, the Screen Controller needs power, but the screens are wireless, which helps keep builds neat and clean.

I know this went well beyond what you asked, but I had fun with RFTools, so I recommend you check it out in all it's glory.

Reactions: ChemE

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Nice tip @Inaeo, much appreciated. I've never fooled with RFTools storage but you've inspired me to give AE2 a hard pass on this world and give it a lash. I love new mods but often fail to branch out the moment I need to do something for in-game convenience.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
That does sound good actually.

One further question, can it become Colin?

a164qp.jpg

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I never got as far as making it that. RFTools Crafters are pretty powerful and straightforward enough to work with, but I'm not sure the logistics side of things can be handled quite as elegantly as AE or even Logistics Pipes would. That said, I'm sure you could make it work given the effort, especially if you have a good item transport mod working alongside it.

As long as it's been around, and as many pieces as people use regularly, I've not seen many bases feature it prominently. It's actually one of the reasons I delved into it in my last custom pack (my backbone was RFTools and Mekanism, with a splash of XU/EnderIO). I was very impressed with how well Mekanism and RFTools complimented each other, and I may lean on RFTools and EnderIO as the tech base of my Beyond world again since I had so much fun with it (considering Deep Resonance for power generation, and I need to give the updated Blood Magic a good go of it on the non-tech side). I'll let you know how it works out as I get deeper into the pack.