Santa's (Hopefully) Helpful Links!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
As suggested in the first thread created in this section, there should be a thread that links to places that are helpful to learning Java and Forge. Not everything linked in this thread has been checked.

It should be noted that you need to have a decent understanding of Java before going into Minecraft modding.

Java
"Trail: Learning the Java Language" by Oracle
LearnJavaOnline
Learning Java by NetBeans
Java on Stack Overflow (ask your Java questions here! This site is great!)*
thenewboston's Beginner Java YouTube series*
thenewboston's Intermediate Java YouTube series*
Learn Java in 30 Minutes by Derek Banas*
Scala YouTube tutorial series
Free Programming Books: Java
Free Programming Books: Scala

Forge
Official Minecraft Forge documentation
Minecraft Forge Wiki (mostly outdated)
Wuppy's Modding Tutorials (written and video)
Setting up ForgeGradle for IntelliJ IDEA & Scala by Minalien (creator of MFFS, Jaded's Blood, and a bunch of non-MC stuff)*
Mekanism's GitHub Repository*
Pahimar's GitHub Profile (check out his EE3 repo and LetsMod/LetsMod-Reboot!)
Vswe's modding lessons*
iChun's Github Profile (check out his Morph, Sync, and Hats repos!)
Grey's blog*
Vazkii's Botania Github repository
Nealegaming has Forge tutorials on YouTube
Cazzar's tutorials
TheXFactor117's Modding Tutorials for 1.7 and 1.8

General
Java
GitHub
Bitbucket
CurseForge
Jenkins guide

Gimme yer links and I'll add 'em here :D

* If it has an asterisk, I personally recommend it :)

Last edited:

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting......I might take a look into Minecraft code development as a project to do over the Christmas holidays.
Until recent years I've been totally unfamiliar with programming, but at university lately I've recently been getting HD's when writing engineering programs with MATLAB so this Java programming might prove to be a worthwhile project.

EDIT:
After two hours of computer work, I think I've finally solved all the hurdles required to just get all the programming software working. Haven't even started learning the Java code yet lol

Last edited:

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
What software are you using o_O

Just the JDK and Eclipse programs, the hardest part was getting the forge source code to download properly but now it seems to be working alright.
I'm using the code for version 1.6.4 because I'm not really interested in modding 1.7.10 just yet, there's not much point in keeping up to date when I don't know nothin' about Java.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Just the JDK and Eclipse programs, the hardest part was getting the forge source code to download properly but now it seems to be working alright.
I'm using the code for version 1.6.4 because I'm not really interested in modding 1.7.10 just yet, there's not much point in keeping up to date when I don't know nothin' about Java.
Ah, 1.7.10 is much easier to set up BTW even though both ways aren't hard. And why was it hard getting the src code to download?

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, 1.7.10 is much easier to set up BTW even though both ways aren't hard. And why was it hard getting the src code to download?

Yeah from what I hear it's easier to set up 1.7. I actually tried source code from 1.6.4, 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 and none of them seemed to download properly when installing the source code (I may have to learn how the gradle system works), so I ended up just going with 1.6.4 which required changing a line of code in a cfg file to get it downloading lol The solutions are actually pretty easy but the lack of information is what ends up being really time consuming.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Open the command line in where you extracted the forge source zip. Then, run gradlew setupDecompWorkspace.
Then, if you use eclipse, use gradlew eclipse. If you use idea, use gradlew idea.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
ForgeGradle existed in 1.6.4.
images

Reactions: Chaka