Running a Small Server

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I am wondering if I will be able to run a small Ultimate Pack server with 3-4 people while playing on the same computer on it with these specs on my laptop:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30Ghz
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M

I don't think there are any other relevant specs, but please tell me if there are.
Also, I realize that neither of these packs are out, but if not on the Ultimate Pack, do you think it will work with the Lite Pack.

forevermac

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to run a small server just fine, assuming you have enough upload bandwidth; 2 Mbps should be enough for 4 players based on my experience.

I've run a 3 person semi-FTB server on a 7-year-old Linux server with a Pentium 4 and 1.5 GB RAM with only mild lag when generating large numbers of chunks. (To be fair, I did a bit of optimization.) Computer specs for the server don't matter much with sufficiently low player count.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
I am running a server for 3 on my laptop.
ubuntu x64 12.04
core i5 460m @ 2.5 Ghz
8GB ddr3
FTB-betaA

so far its running great, after a few weeks, when we started using mystcraft and chunkloaders,
we started getting some light chop so I did what was instructed in this post
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/server-lag.2501/
I also tested it under win7 x64 and the same configs work
Note: I am also running a client on the same computer

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help! Do you have any recommendations on ram allocation for both client and server?

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
The ram allocation sets the min and max that MC is allowed to use, it will only use what it actually needs, as such I have over-allocated my memory.

I have a min of 1G and a max of 6 for the server. the client is allowed to use up to 5G.
the server typically uses between 300m and 1G as reported by the server console.
the client uses about 700 and up to 1.5G (F3)

I think you will hit a CPU limit before you use all your ram.
Good luck

Zica

Jul 29, 2019
You should be fine, as long as there aren't chunk loaders everywhere, and that people don't use BC fillers, which are a server's nightmare.