running a boiler with a wither coal farm.

Jacobbelveder

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody tried this, following the nerf of the blaze rods, 1 t5 blaze spawner just isn't enough to keep a boiler running anymore, so I'm planning on a wither farm to make coal, has anyone tried this & how successful has it been at keeping a big old 36HP boiler at full temperature?

knight2109

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it works very well, I have one running and when the boiler hits max capacity you mind as well send the rest to a diamond farm with the first stop being the boiler for when 1 coal burns out.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Even better you could run the coal through a few coke ovens first then into the boiler. Though you will probably have to void all that useless creosote unless you are building a railtrack to the end of the universe or something.

Jacobbelveder

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of the coal coke plan, I'll have a look at some maths I guess and see how many I'd need to keep it running

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
With plugins for forestry added in (its an awesome mod btw) you can use creasote oil in biogas engines. Not a ton of power its like 1400 ticks at 4mj per tick... But its something to use all that oil for. I create like 6 coal coke ovens and run the coal to them and produce tons of energy for both EU and steam and MJ.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I tried a small liquid boiler 2X2 with 8 LP boilers and I went through about ten thousand buckets of creosote without even heating the thing up. Creosote is for rails and nothing else in my opinion.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
you could also send the junk leftover junk into some recyclers powered by a few generators on some of that coal and get some scrap, you could then turn the scrap into scrapboxes and decide to either have christmas morning all year, burn it all in the boiler or use it to fuel the generators, or use it later for UU-matter

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Yeah, I tried a small liquid boiler 2X2 with 8 LP boilers and I went through about ten thousand buckets of creosote without even heating the thing up. Creosote is for rails and nothing else in my opinion.

Yeah this is why I added plugins for forestry. It makes Creosote oil worth something.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Coal Coke takes too long in order to be produced, and it's going to be consumed too fast, especially in the heat up phase, in order for (i believe), any kind of coal coke production to keep it fed. In the server i'm playing in, i toyed around with some Computercraft, and discovered the Ultimate Tree Chopper program. I found out it does two things very well. First, it produces a crapton of saplings. It's stacks and stacks. I don't even have an estimate, it's really crazy. So biomass production is a go. Second, Firs are massive trees, so we're seeing a LOT of wood. So much we actually had to set up a voiding system to avoid overflow, because not even extradimensional barrels can keep up. Keep in mind this is just one farm. Uses 1 bonemeal per Fir, which gives a crapton of wood and saplings... Very efficient.

The Wood can be used to produce Charcoal. That Charcoal can go into solid fueled fireboxes. Not the most terribly efficient fuel, but if you feed the wood to an induction furnace, or to an Electric Furnace with a lot of upgrades, you can basically feed any kind of Boiler just off of Charcoal. Charcoal is also nice because it allows you to bypass the Coal Coke production stage of Railcraft, because Charcoal can be used to cook steel, albeit it takes 4 Charcoal to smelt 1 Steel Ingot, so it's horribly inefficient, but hey, if you have a way of generating infinite charcoal, what's the problem?

Bonemeal can be gathered in the form of a Skeleton Soul Shard, or you can set up a Sulfur Goo farm. It's ridiculously easy to set up, and it passively gives you infinite Bonemeal, no redstone required, no turtles killing skeletons or messing around with dangerous lava, just a water stream to carry the goo to a collection point and feed it to the turtle Logger. Now, the turtle can use Sulfur Goo as bonemeal, but Steve's Carts can't, so that's an advantage on using the turtle to do the logging instead of a Steve's Cart farms, or a Forestry Farm. Forestry Farms are much more resource intensive, and not quite as efficient, but you do want to set them up for Rubber & Fruit, if you like it.

So, this is how i'm fueling my Boilers. I got 1 36 HP Boiler set running off of Biofuel, and going to set up another to be fed out of Fuel until we run out of Fuel, at which point i'll just switch over to Biomass and possibly build another farm to compensate. Nearly 300 MJ/t should be enough for our needs, until we set up insane amounts of igneous extruders feeding into a recycler, feeding into Crafty Turtles opening up Scrap Boxes and giving us nearly every resource in the game. No need for mining anymore - Everything is renewable now :D

Jacobbelveder

Jul 29, 2019
So on the creosote boiler calculation, for a 36 LP boiler, it will need roughly, 52 coke ovens to keep it running, once it's up to heat, as for HP, I haven't worked it out yet, but a crapton sounds about right... so whilst it might not be the best or most efficient option, I reckon it might be fun, so thats my next plan :p massive coal coke factory here we come. as for the wood/charcoal method, it might be efficient, but I personally don't think it's the most interesting, I've done the tree farm thing before, and it's just silly resources, but dull.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, chopping trees is good to get started, but I like to move on from there at some point.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Since the coke oven was one of the first things I made when we started our map, I went ahead and shot for a semifluid generator to put that creosote to use :/ It's still there but I don't make as much coal coke anymore..

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Semifluid generator? Is that a Gregtech thing? It runs on creosote? What kind of EU output/creosote consumption?