Rotarycraft Tier Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Running RoC v25z for 1.64.

So I've gotten my Magnetostatic to Tier 4, but can't figure out HOW to craft the Tier 5. The highest I can get the Blast Furnace to is 1400 degrees with a Gas Turbine, but I need to get to 1800 degrees to get the Upgrade to craft. Tried running it in the Nether, same temp.

Also, how exactly are you supposed to pump fuel into a Gas Turbine? I tried Fuel Lines and Ender IO Pressurized Fluid Pipes (which DO transport all RotaryCraft liquids) on all sides and it wouldn't accept it from any side (including from below).

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Engine control unit
That is your friend for injecting fuel. It works on most of the engines (that take fuel) and also allows you to control the engine with redstone (so you can turn the damn thing off before it runs out of fuel).

Reactions: TheUnholyTaco

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help with the ECU. Crafted one with a spare circuit I have. Works like a charm.

Now that question B is answered, any ideas for question A?

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing you're using the friction heater to heat up the furnace. There is a (not friction) heater. Pretty sure you have to use that.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. If you're not doing that already yeah. I didn't even think of not doing that (as I automatically do that w/ my friction heaters :p)

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
The Friction Heater, unlike most other machines, seems to work best when you're matching speed/torque as closely as is possible. Slap a gearbox on that puppy.

Yeah, tried 2x/4x/8x/16x Bedrock Gearboxes (x1 and x2). No such luck. Sticks at 1400 with the Friction Heater.

I'm guessing you're using the friction heater to heat up the furnace. There is a (not friction) heater. Pretty sure you have to use that.

Also, the regular Heater explodes into Lava past 1200 degress, so yeah, no luck their either.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yes, that's right, Gas Turbine exhaust is messing with the ambient temperature and capping it at 1400 C. Get creative with your solution. You have Tier 4 magnetostatics, if anything. ;)

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Well, i just did a test. I fired up a jet engine, slapped a CVT on the end of it, set it to 2:1 (torque), and hooked up the friction heater and furance (all of this in line) and it shot over 1800 in just a couple seconds. So try a cvt unit? If my test showed anything, you may need cooling fins.

You might be able to do this with a microturbine (or two).

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so there may be a bug here. When i used two tier 4 magneostatics and combine their power, I get 1758 degrees. 4096 rads @ 4096 torque for only 16 MW. The jet turbine when geared for 8x torque is 8192 rads @ 8192 torque and only reaches 1400 degrees. I have no clue how doubling the torque and rads is getting about 350 degrees less. Something is not working properly here.

Edit: After reading someones comment above, I used a bevel gear to turn the power and move it out of the turbine exhaust and it shoots to 2000 degrees with no problem. Apparently the turbine exhaust is "cooling" the friction heater down. Seems legit right?? Who would've thought jet exhaust would cool anything.

TheUnholyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yes, that's right, Gas Turbine exhaust is messing with the ambient temperature and capping it at 1400 C. Get creative with your solution. You have Tier 4 magnetostatics, if anything. ;)

Yeah, it was the exhaust from the Jet Engine. Went Jet > 2x Bedrock Gear > Bevel > 2x Diamond Shaft > Fric. Heater > Blast Furnace and hit 2k easy. Lesson learned: When doing Tier 5, don't do it inline.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it was the exhaust from the Jet Engine. Went Jet > 2x Bedrock Gear > Bevel > 2x Diamond Shaft > Fric. Heater > Blast Furnace and hit 2k easy. Lesson learned: When doing Tier 5, don't do it inline.
I played around with it a little. Either use a bevel off of the turbine so your friction heater is off to the side or it needs a minimum of 3 blocks between the heater and turbine to allow it to go over 1400 when inline. [DOUBLEPOST=1411014014][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, i just did a test. I fired up a jet engine, slapped a CVT on the end of it, set it to 2:1 (torque), and hooked up the friction heater and furance (all of this in line) and it shot over 1800 in just a couple seconds. So try a cvt unit? If my test showed anything, you may need cooling fins.

You might be able to do this with a microturbine (or two).
I had to put 3 blocks between the friction heater and the turbine on the latest version. CVT directly to turbine still required 2 shafts to go over 1400 on mine.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to get to 1950 C with 32 MW

So since gas turbine mess up you can go

ReC (small HTGR can power out 26 of those from a single turbine)
Chain a few magneto (8MW each right?)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Take your power and run it into an industrial coil.

Let it build up for a while, then shift it to output at exactly the same speed and torque, into your friction heater.

LothyZA

Jul 29, 2019
Famous last words.
Yip... I did that once and it was only once. The result was fairly nice sized explosion and nice chunk of my base went missing as a result. What made matters worse I was playing late, nice and tired and in the base when this happened. I quietly shat myself when that explosion went off and needless to say I was wide awake after that lol!