Rotarycraft average world height/ambient temperature

modkip

May 10, 2018
Hi,
I've been trying to build a HTGR reactor from reactorcraft but it stays too cold whatever I do.
I found that ambient temperature might be the issue, since i'm building the reactor at Y=57.
I've read that a lower ambient temperature can get maginfied down the line, so I think that's whats screwing it up.

I think it's very unrealistic that you can't get nuclear reactors to run properly if you build them 7 meters underground, so is there any way to either increase the ambient temperature or change the average world height to compensate for building the reactor a few feet under?

Thanks in advance,
modkip

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
There are multiple factors for Rotarycraft temperature. Exposure to the sun, height, and biome all influence it.

I’m going to look through the old threads, there should be more specific info there.

EDIT: What’s the ambient temperature, what temperature does your CO2 reach, and what temperature do your heat exchangers reach?

Last edited:
Reactions: modkip
I

Ignotis214

Just to ask the obvious you are surrounding all sides of the HTGR with blocks and or conduits/pipes to insulate the reactor right?

modkip

May 10, 2018
Just to ask the obvious you are surrounding all sides of the HTGR with blocks and or conduits/pipes to insulate the reactor right?
Yeah, I have. The thing is, i've made the exact same reactor a few meters higher up in Creative and it worked flawlessly, so the design itself works.

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Just so you know, the heat exchangers must be 50 degrees hotter than ambient temperature for them to work. The HTGR cores must be at least 800 degrees to get the hot CO2.

This is assuming that Reika didn’t change the fundamental parts of the HTGR code recently. It’s unlikely he did.

modkip

May 10, 2018
Yeah, I'm aware. I'm using the setup like intended, I'm not trying to increase ambient temperature extremely high. All I want is to be able to run a reactor 9 blocks under the ground.

Oh and "EDIT: What’s the ambient temperature, what temperature does your CO2 reach, and what temperature do your heat exchangers reach?"
The ambient temperature was 18 degrees, the reactor doesn't get hot enough to create hot CO2, the exchangers reached about 600°C

I can't really check very much at the moment though, my save got corrupted and I'm afraid I've totally lost it. But I'll be starting over and I'll recreate the setup I had in my previous save. Heck, I might just cheat it in with MCEdit, think I'd deserve that after losing literal days of progress :D

I

Ignotis214

So after finally getting my HTGR operational can report my findings. I have mine underground at Y 39, ambient is 34 according to the steam boilers. My pebblebed cores reach 855C and the heat exchangers reaching 912C. Im able to generate enough steam for 8.5 LP turbines using latest version of Reika's mods.

modkip

May 10, 2018
I've now built another one on Y:70 with an ambient temperature of 25 degrees, it only got to 600 yet again.
This might sound weird but I have the strange idea that the reactor being inside is the problem
I made a test reactor just a few meters outside the dome and after a short while it got up to 1000 degrees...
Could that really be the problem?

modkip

May 10, 2018
I just built a reactor right next to the other pebble bed with one layer of concrete separating them. The new reactor isn't used at all, the blocks are just there and now it suddenly works like a breeze......

I'm severely triggered