Rolling Machine uses power when not in use

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I do believe there are gates in BC that makes non-work-gives-off-redstone-signal thingamabob so you can regulate power consumption. It is the lazy in us that makes us pursue the UNLIMITED POWER! contraptions so we can fire & forget. And I'm lazy.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
While on the subject of rolling machines, does anybody know if they can be automated? I'd like my ME Network to be able to use them to craft plates on demand, but it doesn't look like the kind of machine he ME Interface can use.

I've seen people automate them before. Put the interface on top with the encoded pattern and set up the recipe in the rolling machine just like you would for the old automatic crafting table.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It does indeed feels like a promotional act for boilers, as if they weren't heavily used already.
That’s my concern exactly. I try to stay away from boilers because I've done it before and I'd prefer something of a variety. Admittedly I'm a casual energy gen player and don't really care to have tons of gates or complexity. I'd hate to be boxed into a singular option for the sake of efficiency and simplicity.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need it to be perfect, unless you're a minmaxer. If you are, well you have no room to complain that you are stuck with one best choice.

Also if it helps you sleep at night, imagine the machines use a flywheel to run and the slow MJ drain is lost to friction.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
Last time I played, a redstone engine could counteract the energy "bleed" on a rolling machine, as long as the redstone engine was at full speed.