ridiculously low frame rate

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

jtjwsnake

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
ridiculously low frame rate
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
monster
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I am getting terribly slow fps (around one) and can't seem to figure out whats causing it. I have 8 gigs of ram on my pc (64 bit windows 10), 5.5 devoted to minecraft in the launcher settings. I have tried with and without optimization arguments and various combinations of in-game graphics settings. I have run my computer's resource monitor with feed the beast and the CPU isn't being overloaded and the RAM has loads of room to spare- a couple gigs. The big anomaly I've found is when using the f3 debug screen in-game the allocated memory usage tops out at about 1150 MB before dumping back down to 850-900 MB and slowly building back up to 1150. It does show the 5.5 gigs for the maximum memory but for some reason won't go anywhere near it.

My only guess at the problem is my GPU- I'm running on a laptop with (obviously) a virtual video card, but it has a max allocation of 1696 MB, seems that should be more than enough. No option to adjust max graphics allocation either in graphics options (Intel HD graphics control panel) or BIOS boot menu.

It didn't used to be this bad. I can deal with 10-12 fps (which is about the best I've ever gotten) but 1 is simply unworkable. Am I screwed?

AuricPolaris

Jul 29, 2019
I think 1.6.4 opis has the FPS checking tool within it. You could try to use that while your are getting the very low FPS and see if that can pinpoint a particular reason for it. The memory going up and down is java garbage collecting and could cause issues if it is doing that extremely rapidly but otherwise is fine.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
More RAM!= better performance.
You allocated too much ram, for 1.7.10 modpacks I would recommend to allocate 4 GB, for 1.6.4 and lower 2 GB's should be enough, sometimes you need a bit more.
The more RAM you allocate to minecraft and every java program for that matter the bigger the chance that java's garbage collector will screw up and cause lag.

Another thing: what java version are you using and what are your settings?

jtjwsnake

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am using java 7u80 64 bit. I heard 7 works better with monster. As far as settings, everything is as it was installed. The settings that are shown in the config options seem to be aimed at web-based applets and the like so I havent tinkered with them.

I will look into the opis tool, I hope its pretty user friendly since I dont know much (read:jack) about coding/modding :/

Update: Monster pack has opis 1.2.0 included, just needed to enable it. It's a handy tool, but I really wish I could use 1.2.1 with this version of minecraft as it has the purge options and more information on loaded chunks. I am definitely seeing a TON of tile and non tile entities all over the place and it would be great to be able to purge all those chunks and start from scratch.

I tried swapping out 1.2.0 with 1.2.1, but it just crashed on launch. Is there a way to get monster to run with 1.2.1 so I can purge the chunks?

Also about to install java 8u66 and see if that does any better it won't launch with java 8. back to 7.

Last edited: