RFTools help!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Halp!

I am stuck on a specific thing, but I'll be getting deeper into RFTools, so the thread can be a general ode to RFTools in any way you feel appropriate.

But first! Halp! I am building an elevator for my latest Tower of Power. I ended up building half the damn thing before realizing that I should probably test to see if it works. I was very disappointed to find out you can't wrap the platform around and behind the elevator control unit thing. It only counts blocks in front of it. But I'm way too deep in, so I have to get creative. First, here's what I've got:

The first thought you're going to have is to move the elevator block to the outside of the ring where you step off, facing in so it can keep the whole circle in front of it. The problem is, I literally designed this entire tower based on this working. The floors each line up with the stairs to step off in a different direction on each floor. So, the only thing left I can think of is to actually quadruple the number of elevators and put one facing each direction. And this is where I'm stuck.

They all work, and they can work simultaneously, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the new ones to work off anything but a switch. I even tried things like redstone conduit and redstone paste, but I can't get them to work for the life of me. I need all 4 to go off roughly at the same time (there can be a delay if I have to, that's fine) when I pick any floor. All from the same screen, and within that amount of space.

I have tried restone conduit- it worked once, and I mean literally once, then that floor got stuck at the bottom for a while. It wouldn't work to bring it back and it never worked to bring it back down again. I tried redstone paste- it turned red sometimes, but never did a thing. I couldn't even get that to work directly with a switch just trying to synchronize it. Just to make sure it wasn't a bug from trying to fire off all of them at once, I couldn't get a single switch to a single elevator with the paste. I also tried adding more modules linked to each of the other elevators, and naming each elevator the same thing for each floor hoping to confuse it or something. And changed it back. Nothin.

Whatcha got?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I feel like the restone conduits ALMOST worked, but maybe I'm doing them wrong?

So, the first time I tried it, it did work, which means it recognized the redstone signal from the elevator that works normally, but I think once it activated the other blocks, those other blocks then keep the whole circuit stuck on "on". Does that make any sense? I couldn't figure out any way to have it only accept the status from the one block. If there's an "easy" fix to this, this is it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ok. It must have been a bug. Now that I've rebooted the server, the redstone conduit is working like I was expecting.

But, it still splits it. The prime platform always goes first because it's reacting to the screen button. Once it reaches the floor, the rest follow in unison. So, the redstone signal it's responding to must be coming from the elevator, like to signal that it's arrived*.

I said I would be satisfied with that. But, you and I both knew I was lying when I said it. I am confident this is doable. I think the key is the screen. How can I intercept that signal and hit em all at once? That screen looks versatile, and I feel like there's a way, but I'm not sure where the look to figure it out.

*This is what this damn game keeps doing to me. Now that I know it outputs a signal when the platform arrives, now every damn floor is going to *have* to ding. That's how it starts, then all of a sudden every floor has to have a unique jingle and synchinized fireworks show.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I got nuttin'. The RFTools Elevator has always been a buggy mess, so I've generally always avoided it. Honestly, I'd try something like Remain In Motion for something like this.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thanks for making this thread not just me talking to myself, lol

I *THINK* I might have another solution, but it's going to be a huge pain in the ass. There is another module for the screen that is just a button that sends a redstone signal to a redstone receiver wirelessly. And there was no mention of a distance limit, only that it needs to be a loaded chunk. So, if that's true, I would need as many modules as there are floors, in EACH screen. So, in my case, I have like 8 floors. So, I would basically square that so I'd need 64 button modules pointing at 8 receivers, each connected to 4 elevators, but it SHOULD move all of the platforms simultaneously and instantly when I hit the button. The only functionality that I'd lose is being able to highlight the floor it's on currently, but that's not a huge deal.

I'll try it when I get out of pris work tonight. If it works, you'll all know it!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It works! In theory! lol

I was able to get two floors to work properly. My assessment is right, I do lose the ability to highlight which floor I'm on. And, I do need 64 modules and all that. But, on the floors I got it in, it totally works!

Only problem left is that I can't seem to figure out how to set the channels on the redstone recievers. But I'll play around with it tonight and tomorrow.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Boom

BTW, if you've passed over it, the RFTools screen is really, really cool. I will be using this for a lot of things going forward. It's not just for elevators, it's an interface for a whole wireless redstone system. It's an extremely versatile tool for monitoring anything, too. Highly recommend if you're like me and you misunderstood it before.

Reactions: Cptqrk