Required Mojang Java to Microsoft transition. Thoughts, Known Issues, Things to Ponder?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Spectre1114

Oct 26, 2020
Not trying to open any wounds today but am aware that MicroBoss is pushing Mojang to shut down server authentication early 2021 and is requiring all users of the Java Version of Minecraft to convert accounts to Microsoft. I have a farm of about 10 FTB servers running at present on TrueNAS and am wondering if this authentication change holds any dark side for our beloved FTB installs?

BTW - Great stuff you are doing with the launcher and the mod updates. Still converting servers to the 1.7.0 launchers but so far so good. You guys and gals rock. Thank you for all the hard work.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
It's not server authentication that's changing - it's the use of the current Mojang authentication servers that are going to be changed - they are going to switch from Mojang accounts to Microsoft accounts for the end-user.

There's nothing in the current information from Mojang that points to having any impact for server owners. That can of course change later on.

Mojang's news article on the subject:

Mojang's FAQ on the subject:

Spectre1114

Oct 26, 2020
Sad, but too true. Crystal clear answer and thanks for the links !
HatsOff.PNG

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Whelp... I'm out, then. I do not currently have a Microsoft account. I do not *want* a Microsoft account. I switched to Linux to avoid having a Microsoft account. It took them a bit longer to make this move than I thought when they originally purchased Mojang, but now that the reality is here, I'm effectively being shoved out the door and unable to play the game I purchased simply because I don't want a Microsoft account.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Reactions: malicious_bloke