Regarding updates

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
Hello. First off, I want to be clear that I appreciate the hard work done here. This post, however, is in regards to what seems to be the update policy/procedure used by FTB.

When I was asked to update the modpack earlier, I clicked yes like a sillyboy. This caused my FTb/mods folder to be removed, all the other mods I had installed erased, and the new pack downloaded. This update also removed the ExtraBees mod.

Now, my problem with all that is that the procedure here seems extremely invasive, and I may say, a bit obnoxious. If you guys decide to remove a mod from the pack, that doesn't mean you need (or really even have the right) to erase it from everyone's computer that has downloaded it, just because they are using this launcher. I don't need you looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm playing "your way". If all modpack updates require a full reinstall/redownload of the pack, that is fine - you are the ones paying for the bandwidth. But the fact that all custom-installed mods will be lost in the process, and especially that a mod is being removed, needs to be made clear in the update dialog - if it had said, for example, "Warning: this update will remove ExtraBees", I would never have clicked yes without investigating. And of course, I do not agree with Slowpoke on all mod choices and there are some I want to use regardless of his opinion of them - in short, if an update is going to possibly cause world corruption/missing blocks, this needs to be made clear when the user is given the option.

The obvious solution is for me to just copy the initial FTB download into a new Minecraft install that the launcher doesn't access, which is what I will be doing from now on, and would have done before if I thought I might need to. I understand the launcher and everything is new, but I wanted to bring this up to hopefully avoid this kind of problem in the future.

If this information was indeed in the launcher somewhere and I just didn't see it, I apologize - but it certainly wasn't obvious enough for me to notice.

Thanks.

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe so, but I don't regularly browse the tabs. I open it when I want to play the game and tend to click through quickly, as I suspect most people do.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I do agree that if there is new news, it should be made clearer. Just a 'new' icon on the news tab would be fine.

But, at the same time, it is still in Beta, so you do have to expect it to not always work.

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
I don't expect it to always work, and I'm bringing this up because it's in beta, which is when you give feedback on things that should be changed :)