redstone vs stonebound

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
what is faster a pick with ardite rod 1 durability or the same pick but with extra redstone mod?

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
Stonebound modifiers are reduced by the ratio of number of parts with stonebound / number of parts making up the tool. A pickaxe with an ardite rod (and no other stonebound material) would get a maximum 0.66 stonebound modifier (ardite has stonebound 2, if memory serves, and there are three parts to a pickaxe -- so 2 / 3).

On the other hand, redstone modifiers also have diminishing returns, though you'd have to tell more about your pickaxe to do serious calculations (but that's okay, I wouldn't want to do the math anyway).

My gut instinct is that the Stonebound II would be reasonably likely to have a greater effect than a fourth (fifth?) modifier's worth of redstone, but given the right tool head both are likely to take the pickaxe into "I don't dare click inside my base or I'll break everything" speed. Advice? Use thaumium (better handle modifier than paper), add something other than redstone (silky picks tend to be useful, for instance).

A titanium head / paper binding / thaumium rod pickaxe with a silky jewel probably only needs one modifier's worth of redstone to be nice and quick without being too fast to use reliably.

Reactions: SuperMR

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
Stonebound modifiers are reduced by the ratio of number of parts with stonebound / number of parts making up the tool. A pickaxe with an ardite rod (and no other stonebound material) would get a maximum 0.66 stonebound modifier (ardite has stonebound 2, if memory serves, and there are three parts to a pickaxe -- so 2 / 3).

On the other hand, redstone modifiers also have diminishing returns, though you'd have to tell more about your pickaxe to do serious calculations (but that's okay, I wouldn't want to do the math anyway).

My gut instinct is that the Stonebound II would be reasonably likely to have a greater effect than a fourth (fifth?) modifier's worth of redstone, but given the right tool head both are likely to take the pickaxe into "I don't dare click inside my base or I'll break everything" speed. Advice? Use thaumium (better handle modifier than paper), add something other than redstone (silky picks tend to be useful, for instance).

A titanium head / paper binding / thaumium rod pickaxe with a silky jewel probably only needs one modifier's worth of redstone to be nice and quick without being too fast to use reliably.
i have a ardite rod pick with paper binding and cobalt head, this one will be my fortune pick i suppose.. my silky pick will have thaumium rod
what about jagged from cactus? is it the same?

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
i have a ardite rod pick with paper binding and cobalt head, this one will be my fortune pick i suppose.. my silky pick will have thaumium rod
what about jagged from cactus? is it the same?
Jagged is an inverse stonebound -- the same property of the tool is modified, but with a negative number. Yes, this means that Stonebound I completely cancels Jagged I.

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
Jagged is an inverse stonebound -- the same property of the tool is modified, but with a negative number. Yes, this means that Stonebound I completely cancels Jagged I.
i know thets... i mean if i have a sword, should i have thaumium handle or cacti handle?
manyullyn blade cutlass

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
i know thets... i mean if i have a sword, should i have thaumium handle or cacti handle?
manyullyn blade cutlass
I think you get more out of an extra modifier's worth of quartz than out of the single cactus part (-0.33 modifier from the cactus), not to mention the extra durability from using a better handle (I seem to recall cactus has a poor handle modifier).

As far as weaponry goes, though, consider using a rapier -- the armor piercing capability and lack of damage cooldown makes them insanely good if you can just spam-click the target a couple of times.

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
I think you get more out of an extra modifier's worth of quartz than out of the single cactus part (-0.33 modifier from the cactus), not to mention the extra durability from using a better handle (I seem to recall cactus has a poor handle modifier).

As far as weaponry goes, though, consider using a rapier -- the armor piercing capability and lack of damage cooldown makes them insanely good if you can just spam-click the target a couple of times.
im not on multiplayer so i think the armor piercing ability is not so good for me....

so u say to use thaumium rod? cactus has 1 handle modifire while thaum has 1.7

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Manyullyn has the highest handle modifier, I tend to use manyullyn for handle and blade on swords with thaumium for the handguard.

Fannying about with jagged and stonebound is a bit unnecessary when you can stack gold/diamond/nether star extra modifiers and rack a bumload of quartz onto it. With a geostrata strength pendant in your inventory you will one-shot enderman, armoured mobs and smack down the ingame bosses in a couple of hits.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
im not on multiplayer so i think the armor piercing ability is not so good for me....

so u say to use thaumium rod? cactus has 1 handle modifire while thaum has 1.7
There are armored mobs, so it wouldn't be wasted. And yeah, 1.7x durability is better than 1x -- and the extra modifier is excellent.

Manyullyn has the highest handle modifier, I tend to use manyullyn for handle and blade on swords with thaumium for the handguard.
I know it wouldn't make much difference, but you could just as easily go with a paper guard -- the guard doesn't affect much at all. I agree with the manyullyn handle and blade, they make good sense both for damage and durability.

Fannying about with jagged and stonebound is a bit unnecessary when you can stack gold/diamond/nether star extra modifiers and rack a bumload of quartz onto it.
I'm somewhat bothered by the relative inflexibility of TCon, from this point of view. It's almost always better to have more modifiers, and similarly always ideal to put some kind of recharging system on tools and weapons. There are all these different materials, but it rarely makes sense to use them. =/

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
Since I learned that stonebound scale with the number of piece used, I go with a pure ardite hammer. The bonus get bigger then the hammer speed itself. the tool station tell you the speed and the bonus when you place the tool in it btw.

squeek502

Jul 29, 2019
You have that backwards. Redstone modifier has exponential gains, not diminishing returns (you get more and more speed the more redstone you add), see this thread. The speed that redstone adds is also not affected by any other factors; it is a straightforward addition, so only the tool type matters when calculating how much speed you'd get.

Reactions: Narc

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
You have that backwards. Redstone modifier has exponential gains, not diminishing returns (you get more and more speed the more redstone you add), see this thread. The speed that redstone adds is also not affected by any other factors; it is a straightforward addition, so only the tool type matters when calculating how much speed you'd get.
Whoa, I had *really* old data. Thanks for the info!