Redstone timer causing lagspike

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
I'm using the mindcrack pack with added Mystcraft and Gregtech disabled. Is there a reason why the timer causes a lagspike every time it 'activates', even if it is not controlling anything?

Confidential1207

Jul 29, 2019
You can do:
1. Turn off the timer
2. Break the timer
3. Don't use it
I think this is one of the "Bugs" of redpower. Try not to use a lot of timers.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
try keep the timer over 1 sec if possable and place a torch/glowstone next to it so it wont cause a lighting update

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
Place glowstone/Jack-O-Latern/Lam under timer, because light updates is that what creates lag.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Place glowstone/Jack-O-Latern/Lam under timer, because light updates is that what creates lag.
Above works too, just remember to not right click with anything but a screwdriver in your hand on a RP circuit block. it will crash the game. :mad:

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
"timer causing lag"...

This can't be serious, right?

Then, build the actual vanilla redstone equivalent for what you need, and come back.
It should be pretty similar lag wise, and is nowhere near as modular.

You might want to limit the use of redwire, and use its insulated versions instead, because if one single RP timer causes you lag spikes, I can bet that way more stuff will when you build more stuff, and automate lots of machines...

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
"timer causing lag"...

This can't be serious, right?

Then, build the actual vanilla redstone equivalent for what you need, and come back.
It should be pretty similar lag wise, and is nowhere near as modular.

You might want to limit the use of redwire, and use its insulated versions instead, because if one single RP timer causes you lag spikes, I can bet that way more stuff will when you build more stuff, and automate lots of machines...

It's becasue of light update spam. it does happen with vanilla redstone torches as well when you have circuits sitting in a dark room. the RP2 timer is nowhere near as bad as those. the fix is simple enough. keep light level higher than that of the circuits and wires. voila. no light updates and no lag. people just notice is more with RP2 circuits, because they are genrally hidden inside dark cubbyholes that are too small for spawning mobs, and thus are not lighted to prevent spawning either.