Redstone Power Supervolcano's, found one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mindrivet

Jul 29, 2019
We believe to have encountered one. It is 165 blocks away from our base and the wiki warns of bases within 750 blocks :(

It is a massive vertical column of lava about 5x5 wide (column itself may be 3x3) seems to have a 1x1 basalt core in the middle and has absolutely no basalt base of any sort, not composite or a shield volcano. It also spawned in a redwood forest. Poor trees, massive firestorm in progress.

I can find no useful information anywhere about what these super volcanos even look like or do.... the discussions are useless with one contributor not knowing what hes talking about and the other discussion about 1x1 columns in basalt volcanos.

If this is not a super volcano, what is it?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Might be a glitch. Redpower 2 volcanos are known to have random errors in them where the basalt doesn't even generate. Yours might be broken entirely to the point where it's just a spout of lava.

Could you post a picture?

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
You mentioned it's in a redwood forest, yes? That's the key. From what I understand, RP2 volcanoes generate ahead of EBXL trees, which then delete the basalt when they generate in turn. This can result in some extremely funky looking volcanoes in redwood forests, including ones where the spout is all that's left. If the trees generate close enough to remove all the basalt, then the leftover lava column will spill out onto the leaf and wood blocks until they all burn away. This leaves you with a wide lava spout but only a single column of source lava. Lava flows remain stable up to three blocks from the source, so it will remain this way even without the trees.

Best way to confirm this is to build over the spout and try setting up a BC pump above any part of the spout aside from the center. If it works, you got yourself a killer lava source and a volcano type I didn't know existed. If it doesn't, it's just the glitch I explained.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
RP2 volcanoes are kind of derpy. Beautiful, but derpy. If you think the redwood volcanoes are weird then fly far out on the roof of the nether.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Uh-oh.
Does Redpower generate volcanoes ON THE TOP OF THE NETHER?!
*splutters*
blehbutlablabelehbleheblehdoleblehb--b--b--
WHAT?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

What you get are these weird splorts of lava on the roof. If you clean up the lava there's just a bit of basalt replacing the bedrock, and under it there's a very thin lava-filled basalt pipe going all the way down into normal nether.

This doesn't ever happen close to the origin, but when it happens the basalt pipes and lava splorts are everywhere. It's a potential obstacle to railroads and fast travel over the roof but it is an aesthetic improvement over perfect endless nothingness I think. Not sure if feature or crazy bug.

The volcanoes really aren't picky about the neighborhood and will try to appear in the Twilight and most Mystcraft dimensions, often resulting in derp.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Appearently, you need to have blazes spawn near the supervolcano so that you can say its one.