Redstone Energy Cell Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

JJSongs1

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to make a redstone energy cell be receiving power while giving power to a quarry? I'm just trying to speed up the quarry while charging my energy cell rather than charge and then give it power. When I change the redstone control from low to ignored, it stops receiving power, and starts giving power, but I cant figure out how to do both at the same time. Here's my setup, and if you have any tips on it, that would be helpful too :)

2015-08-19_10.48.51.png

The redstone torches by the cell were from me testing the redstone control.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You open the energy cell, and change the top face from blue to orange.
Blue = input
Orange = output
the other (can't remember the colour) = disabled

JJSongs1

Jul 29, 2019
You open the energy cell, and change the top face from blue to orange.
Blue = input
Orange = output
the other (can't remember the colour) = disabled
I just tried that, I'm pretty sure its the other way around. Blue = output, orange = input.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I just tried that, I'm pretty sure its the other way around. Blue = output, orange = input.
... No, Blue really is input and orange really is output. Trust me. Everyone will verify this. :p
It could be that your quarry is simply draining power faster than you are producing it. Try adding more generators, and make sure that your cables are high tier enough (aren't filling up with RF).

JJSongs1

Jul 29, 2019
... No, Blue really is input and orange really is output. Trust me. Everyone will verify this. :p
It could be that your quarry is simply draining power faster than you are producing it. Try adding more generators, and make sure that your cables are high tier enough (aren't filling up with RF).
Ok thanks. I did make sure that the cell is getting more power than it is putting out, I'll try that.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The quarrys input therefore speed is capped. If you are already getting 4 or so blocks a second you may have hit the max speed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
So anything greater than hardened is overkill. Actually maybe even leadstone level as I forget wether the throughput is 600 or 800.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019

+1 +another to setting the maximum output rate of the NRG (energy, see it?) cell to match the maximum useful consumption rate of the quarry and no faster.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
+1 +another to setting the maximum output rate of the NRG (energy, see it?) cell to match the maximum useful consumption rate of the quarry and no faster.

This is the right idea. Use the control panel on the Redstone Energy Cell to lower how much energy it puts out per tick. I think if you click the + and - buttons you can change the RF/t by 50 and if you shift-click you can change it by 5, and maybe ctrl-click to change it by 1 RF/t. Just experiment with it if my keystrokes are incorrect.

But yeah ChemE is absolutely correct - if you don't want your Redstone Energy Cell to lose power slowly until it goes to zero, then lower the output on it so your quarry is using less power. Then your Redstone Energy Cell will always stay full. If the quarry runs slower, oh well - then work on upgrading your power sources!! It's very common as I progress up the ladder for me to use this "trick" of limiting the power I send to my quarry. Since you never want your quarry to use ALL your power and leave you with nothing for your machines to process that stuff coming in from the quarry... then you need to manually slow it down. Just experiment with power levels, and drop the Redstone Cell output until you see the storage numbers going up instead of going down. That's when you know you've arrived at the right RF/t - you'll see it in the numbers.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
This is the right idea. Use the control panel on the Redstone Energy Cell to lower how much energy it puts out per tick. I think if you click the + and - buttons you can change the RF/t by 50 and if you shift-click you can change it by 5, and maybe ctrl-click to change it by 1 RF/t. Just experiment with it if my keystrokes are incorrect.

But yeah ChemE is absolutely correct - if you don't want your Redstone Energy Cell to lose power slowly until it goes to zero, then lower the output on it so your quarry is using less power. Then your Redstone Energy Cell will always stay full. If the quarry runs slower, oh well - then work on upgrading your power sources!! It's very common as I progress up the ladder for me to use this "trick" of limiting the power I send to my quarry. Since you never want your quarry to use ALL your power and leave you with nothing for your machines to process that stuff coming in from the quarry... then you need to manually slow it down. Just experiment with power levels, and drop the Redstone Cell output until you see the storage numbers going up instead of going down. That's when you know you've arrived at the right RF/t - you'll see it in the numbers.
I always just spam generators and/or give the quarry it's own, local power source. :p
Sometimes I never upgrade from steam dynamos; I just build (and move, as needed) a tree farm to power the quarry.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I always just spam generators and/or give the quarry it's own, local power source. :p
Sometimes I never upgrade from steam dynamos; I just build (and move, as needed) a tree farm to power the quarry.

I always build a 3x3x4 Big Reactor to start with... depending on the modpack that's about 200-500 RF/t which is enough to get my first quarry going. Also, I use 2 Redstone Ports on the reactor (which is why I don't do a 3x3x3, I need the one extra height block to install the 2 Redstone ports in addition to all the other ports necessary). Commit one Redstone Port to the battery symbol (power stored, I think), and commit the other Port to the Control Rod Insertion. Connect the 2 ports with Rednet cable. Your reactor will now run itself, all you need to do is insert the fuel every so often when it gets low.

Then I use the Redstone Energy Cell controls to make sure my quarry isn't pulling too much power. Once I run the quarry for a while, I've mined enough iron to begin to consider upgrading my Big Reactor to a larger size... this is what I call "climbing the ladder". With a bigger reactor, now the quarry can run faster, so I get more materials and can increase my BigReactor over and over again... climb the ladder. :)