Redpower insulated wire

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to optimize one of my machine so I changed the red allow wire for a white insulated wire because the wiki says it won't energize each block it touches (which means less lag), however, I found that it does energize the transposers it touches even if the wire just goes over it and I tried with a lamp and it's the same thing. Does the insulated wire energize everything like the normal wire or does it still work just because they are all redpower machines?

Edit: Just tried with a piston and it energizes it too.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
You simply misunderstood.

The wire that doesn't sent the redstone signal is the bundled cable.

But it also doesn't get any signal on its own.

It is usually used to make multiple signals travel in a compact way, but as it doesn't emit, it's quite good too.

As for the white wire you used, it has one big benefit of not making light updates, unlike the redwire.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
With further testing I saw that the insulated wire doesn't send a signal through a block to the lamp on the other side while a red allow wire does it. The wiki says "insulated wire will not energize any blocks it comes into contact with, except along the" ends", I think it's kinda true but it only applies to blocks and not machines.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to optimize one of my machine so I changed the red allow wire for a white insulated wire because the wiki says it won't energize each block it touches (which means less lag), however, I found that it does energize the transposers it touches even if the wire just goes over it and I tried with a lamp and it's the same thing. Does the insulated wire energize everything like the normal wire or does it still work just because they are all redpower machines?

Edit: Just tried with a piston and it energizes it too.

This is only true in a limited fasion. Running it straight along a wall with a device flush with the surface will not emit. However, every time you create a corner, it emits into that corner. So, for example if you have a transposer sitting on the floor, and run the wire along a floor and up and over the transposer, it will emit to the transposer. Taking a SS of the difference now, so you can see. Will edit momentarily.

EDIT:
http://imgur.com/jd9h1ks

Used deployers since they have a nice obvious "open" state.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I just realized that after going around a corner with an insulated wire then through a wall of machines, only the one on the corner still worked. Well, it's still better than energizing the whole room :)

Edit: Yep that's it, thanks!