redpower circuitry

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
I know FTB is more than just one mod, but redpower has all but died on the mc forums. heres hoping some people here still appreciate all the work that went into this fantastic component and post some of their crazy ideas here.

here goes =)

working on some components for a redpower cpu build, here's a pc counter register design i came up with

2013-07-18_115243.png

this shows the dff's and adders for the +1 logic. note i dont need full adder logic here since we are only adding 1 to the value on the output bus on the lsb...the rest of the bits are adding 0, so we only have to add the incoming carry and pass the resulting carry to next bit. i know...ripple carry, slow as balls. will fix later =p

2013-07-18_115301.png

here is the countup/load address selector. just a couple of bus transceivers that select which data bus gets fed into the dff's

2013-07-18_115422.png

input section.
leftmost switch = reset to 0 (edit: this is actually linked to the last switch to force the register into load mode, i forgot that little detail)
bank of 16 switches = input bits to load into register
switch with clock/pulse former = clock signal, clock tile is there to test the counting of the register, otherwise it should just be the pulse former
rightmost switch = countup/load address toggle

its not terribly fast because of the ripple adder circuit..looking into CLA designs to speed this up..right now it needs ~40 ticks (2 seconds) on large numbers. can be much faster if only handling smaller numbers. one cool feature of this design is the countup logic does its thing AFTER the previous value is clocked into the DFF's. so it is slow to figure out the next address, but the rest of the system can do its thing while the counter is running the +1 on the current address. It might be a moot idea to speed this up if the rest of the computer takes more than 40 ticks to run one instruction. clocking in a new address from the load bits only takes a few ticks.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Nice! Maybe we should gather a lot of designs like this, or using other parts of RP2 to motivate Eloraam to keep with it.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Nice! Maybe we should gather a lot of designs like this, or using other parts of RP2 to motivate Eloraam to keep with it.

I don't think she really needs motivation. For many MC is just a hobby that is wedged in between moments of really busy lives. I believe Eloraam is that sort of person. Don't get me wrong I love RP2 done more then a few posts on crazy stuff you can do with it. But I really think its a to damn busy with life thing not a no motivation thing.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think she really needs motivation. For many MC is just a hobby that is wedged in between moments of really busy lives. I believe Eloraam is that sort of person. Don't get me wrong I love RP2 done more then a few posts on crazy stuff you can do with it. But I really think its a to damn busy with life thing not a no motivation thing.
As a (retired) modder I can say that once you start to care less about a mod it's almost impossible to keep updating it - no matter how many requests you have to keep it going. Eventually, unless you can find some rational reason to work on it more, it just... dies... I am hoping this isn't what Eloraam is experiencing, because, without redpower, FTB will never be the same. And I doubt Eloraam would give the source to another modder to take over if she does give up on it.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
MFR's Rednet possesses all that functionality in an even more compact arrangement because different sides of the same block can be different colors without needing bundled cable then colored cable at each 'lead'.