Rednet help requested.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
2013-08-17_19.37.56.png Hey guys I am trying to automate smelteries but for some reason I am having issues in getting this system working. I'd basically like to beable to automate my smeltery eventually with AE but I am having some issues working with rednet. I'm not hip with all the lingo and am trying to make sense of it all. I'll let you see my setup and hopefully you guys can help me out. Basically I wanna flip a switch and have the faucets output until I flip it off, I've kinda got it working but it occasionally doesn't allow for me to power all of them. What would I need my rednet controller set too?

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
A timer (square wave) would do it, set to a couple seconds to pulse the faucets. I'm no PRC expert, but it would be along the lines of lever activates the timer function, that gets stored as a variable, then a second function (and gate?) takes that variable and outputs the redstone signal.

If you want to see it done better than I can explain it, Direwolf set up a similar system on the SMP series

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
which vid is that? I've been trying to find it.. but saw it earlier..

You can check my Youtube channel (or PowerCrystal's forum post which links them) for a brief explanation of how rednet works. What you want to do is: "Output a series of redstone pulses (on-off-on-off) to the faucet while a lever is flipped.

This is easy. First PRC page, select a square wave. Set the output to VAR 0. The period should be somewhere above 10 but below 20. Second PRC page, choose an AND gate. The input is Var0 and your lever (see my tutorial for how to set that part up, basically you pick a color and a side), the output is a different color from your lever's input signal. Connect that color via rednet cable to your smeltery faucets.

What this does is ensure that when the timer is on AND the lever is on, your faucets get a redstone pulse.

Reactions: Seraph089

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
woot! ty dude, gonna try that out now, I didn't really understand why it wasn't functioning even if I set it up the way I thought it would work. I have one last question for yea if you can, would I need to create more variables for an inverted or gate?

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I've got it but I notice it pulses it too short, how would I make the signal longer, bump up the timer?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
A simple work around if you got it is Extra Utilities it has a Clock block. It just sends a pulse like every couple of ticks. Works like a charm no programing needed.

Random Stuff by Saice, on Flickr

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
ty, I got it working, took a longass time as direwolf loves to spend a ton of time on building the setup for it but then breezes past the meat of the build... "Okay so here's the smeltery heeeerrrre... want faucets heeeeeeeeeere... and then the rednet controller here here here here and then here with this setting right here *clicks madly for 20 mins* and viola! a working rednet pulser extruditional partitioner!"

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Kirin how did the highlight tip to show what mod is the item is from in NEI in your video?

I think it was a bug from Mekanism that left that on for non-developer builds. If you want that sort of thing, use Waila.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm the system works to automate as far as just smelting all the materials but I seem to have an issue getting the items in so I may just use his hopper system, was there any way to set the timer so it leaves the signal on for 9 ingots (or X seconds) then it pulses?

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
I set up an advanced computer with an interactive screen to control automation of my faucets individually. It can auto dispense to a table for ingots, and/or a tub for blocks independently, controlled by clicking buttons on the monitor.

It was actually a lot of fun to write. There are no os.sleep commands, only pullEvents so it only runs when it actually needs to, and the timers for the individual faucets are truly independent.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
yanno I love the potential of computer craft but am continually disappointed when I see someone head that direction, not to say I'm disappointed in you for doing that because it's awesome but just the thought of defaulting to it is annoying because once you automate with computer craft you kinda ignore other forms of automation that are much cooler (not saying that one isn't!). Kudos on that design aspect 8)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As with Zeal I have a love/hate thing going on with CC and Turtles. On one hand they can do everything.... on the other hand they can do EVERYTHING.

I have nothing but respect of the innovators that use CC. Coding anything more complex than an attack turtle grinder can get nightmarishly complex and long. My beef is with the pastebin users that in many cases outright refuse to learn anything more complex then how to use the get command. It is on the same level as the diffrance between someone that works through the whole mess that is Bees vs the guy that just barrows a few of each type and BAM has everything he will ever need. Its the investment vs rewards that tend to get thrown out the window with these sorts of things. Someone that spends hours figuring out code is awesome someone that takes 5 minutes to google pastbin code not so awesome.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
CC is a powerful tool and one of my most hated/loved mods I'm glad it exists I hate that it's exploited in the very same way you've said, Saice. Mob grinders are about all I use them for and any other things I try to automate myself without it. After getting up my first sorting system with redpower 2 going on my previous world I grinned, I grinned so widely that it hurt the day after.. I also stared at it working for an hour. First time using a turtle it worked and I left it alone. Nothing was special, no awe, nada. That is one of my reasons for loving automation in other forms instead of CC.

An example of not needing CC was in the most recent direwolf vid of "pink pong" He did a needlessly complex design for the scoring system with CC when AE could have handled that easily on it's own. Yet Dire is a programmer, he thinks like a programmer and for me that's not creative. That's not how the game was intended to be played so it is why I try to stay away from CC unless it is absolutely the last option even if it's the best. I can easily tell a computer to execute commands but what happens to the computer when it comes in contact with an unknown variable... it halts. When I build a system that comes into an unknown variable it's able to better handle it then just halting operation or a kink in the cogs if you will..

My sorting system pre-redpower 2 (back when I wasn't using it even tho it was enabled) Had a golem overflow system, worked like a charm and didn't lose a thing in the insane amount of time I played. I must admit some of my issues is the fact I am not 100% on the in's and outs of computercraft but I still know enough to understand I simply like doing things in a challenging way instead of going, "Oh I can CC my entire system to never lose anything and deal in exacts and can exactly pull items out and put them in and make monkies and love crackers with pandas offering me bamboo every 20 seconds while I listen to Serj Tenaka and see if 'Empty Walls' speaks to me.." wait... what was the original thought? ugh... I need to sleep..

BTW I'm going with your redstone clock method there Saice since it's more reliable in the long run.