Redalloy wire alternative

Doormat

Jul 29, 2019
Let me preface this so that I don't get jumped by Eloraam's defenders:

This post is in no way a criticism of Eloraam, or a comment on the availability of RedPower2.

Ok - having gotten that out of the way ... I'm building something and I'm stuck. The long and the short of it is that I need a means to send a redstone signal straight up a wall without the messy vanilla requirements.

So I need an alternative to redalloy wire. I found vertical redstone - but reading the forum I see that it's not forge compatible at this time (and the author doesn't have time to update, which is fair enough).

Are they the only two mods which offer a wire which will go up a wall? If not - would someone point me at an alternative please.

Doormat

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the idea Kyre - I've just had a play in a test world (never having toyed with BC pipe wires and gates before) and they do let me achieve what I want.

But - it's not really a viable solution for my problem ... Building an assembly table and laser for the sake of running a redstone signal up a wall is just a touch extravagant. If I manage to find some more diamonds down the track (rare as hens teeth at the moment) I'll probably build an Assembly table - but for the time being I'm not able to.

Is that the only alternative? Is there really no other mod which provides a simple wire?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, BC pipe wires is still the closest from the real thing, with even 4 colors of wire to make a pseudo bundled cable.
Sure, because depending on the color, the gates can go up to diamond, and it costs a lot of energy, but you can stil run it quite well.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
actually going up isn't that hard in vanilla... going down is a lot more tricky :p

Alternating Blocks with Redstone-Torches send a signal up as high as you want. But only in that direction.

Kyre

Jul 29, 2019
Well, another way you could accomplish vertical redstone transmission would be using IC2 Splitter and EU Detector cables really creatively. But unless you do something like attach a Solar panel to a Forestry Electrical Engine / Mass Fab then you'd have to manually maintain the system occasionally.

Doormat

Jul 29, 2019
Guys - I know how to go up (and down) using vanilla redstone mechanics. I started playing Minecraft just after the release of 1.3.2 so I've never actually used anything but vanilla redstone.

When I created this thread it was in the mistaken impression that there must be more than just RP2 and Vertical Redstone which provided a means of doing what I'm after.

Now I realise that I was wrong.I shall redesign my project to work around the lack of mods.

Thanks for you various inputs.

jammiewins

Jul 29, 2019
The slightly roundabout way I do it is to have 2 computercraft computers with rednet modems, one sends a signal when it notices a redstone signal has turned on or off, and the other turns on or off according to the signal the first sent. I'm not at home so I don't have the program here but it's not too complicated.