Lazerus Artificial

Jul 29, 2019
I have googled it for a while now, but i have found nothing concrete
So far we can Convert
IC² Energy -> BC Energy with the Electrical Engine
BC Energy -> IC² Energy with Petroleum Engine
RP2 Energy -> BC Energy with the new Kinetic Engine

but it seems that there is no way to convert IC² -> RP2, or BC -> RP2
thats a little bit sad i think, i love the IC² Energy, the RP2 Energy is nice too (the new wind e.g.) but i like it to power my systems with nuklear energy and all these things. I dont like the BC Energy, thats why im using the Electrical Engine for converting.
Is it right that there is no way to convert energy to RP2, only from RP2 to BC2?

Lazerus Artificial

Jul 29, 2019
its nothing against BC energy, they are good, but i like the "Hightech" Energy from IC² more ;)
i have used the BC energy a lot before i found IC²

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Normally I prefer IC2 energy, its easier to control and measure, and wires are a lot harder to accidently break than energy pipes (1 click -FUUUUUU!!!!!).

However I'm getting back into it now we have energy conduits which you cant accidently smash, and 90% of the machines only take the power they need instead of constantly sucking it down like the worlds going to end.
There's still no way of measuring energy flow, and routing through walls looks neater now with façades. (I mount transformers in the wall to fill the gap)

I'm looking at running my entire base on BT power- as sapphire jacketed blue cable looks awesome with my glass floors..

As for conversions.

IC2-> BC with electric engine
BC liquid fuels (not energy) via bio-generator and petroleum generator.
RP -> BC/IC2 via respective machines.
BC fuels/furnace fuels -> Steam ->MJ/Eu via boilers for max. efficiency.

Raw BC power cannot be turned into Eu or BT power.
Only RP provides sources of RP energy.
TC2 had a vis generator. (outdated), and Eloraam (apparently*) requested that power conversion mods to generate BT be taken down.​
Factorization charge is in a class of its own.

*don't hold me to that one, it's a rumour I heard a while back

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Use Magma Crucible to convert BC energy to lava (with cobblestone).
Then you can burn it for IC or fuel Alloy Furnace.
There are no energy-intensive operations in RedPower other then alloy smelting (and even that only if you mass-smelt buckets or golden helmets and such).

Scale_e

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 Energy = EU
Redpower Energy = BT
BuildCraft Energy = MJ
Can we use one set of terms? It just gets confusing otherwise, and eventually they'll be an argument about why "IC2 energy can't be converted to EU." or something equally absurd.

With that out of the way, yes it is a bit sad that there are currently methods of conversion that are unavailable. It would mesh the whole pack together alot more if we could use any mod to power (with appropriately balanced conversion methods) any other mod.

Use Magma Crucible to convert BC energy to lava (with cobblestone).
Then you can burn it for IC or fuel Alloy Furnace.
There are no energy-intensive operations in RedPower other then alloy smelting (and even that only if you mass-smelt buckets or golden helmets and such).
Nice idea, I'm going to try that.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My question would be... why?

Personally, I'm beginning to like MJ energy FAR more than EU. It can be transmitted with FAR less energy loss, particularly when you get conduits up and running, and without blowing a ton of diamonds on glass fibre cables. It has MANY more ways of generating it, including Forestry, Oil/Fuel, Lava with Magmatic Engines, Steam which runs on any number of fuel sources... lots of options. For EU, your only options are: Burning things, slow trickle from water, relatively slow trickle from solar that shuts down at night (barring certain addons which require uranium), somewhat faster trickle but trickier to set up windmills, possibly-explode-your-base nuclear, and Lava with Geothermal, which is the clear winner in my opinion.

Then let's look at what EU is used to power... well, usually, it's a macerator, a furnace, an extractor, and a compressor. If you have Advanced Machines included, then it also does the advanced versions of the above. Oh yea, and your massfab, if you really want to go there. That's it. Oh, and your tools and armor.

Generally, I'm only using IC2 for my tools and maybe armor these days, which runs on its own dedicated line and separate from my grid. Everything else runs on MJ, with my BT grid set up alongside. Mostly though, my BT grid is powering some batteries, my electric alloy furnace, and my sorting machines. My batteries run through an enderchest to keep the batteries on my frame quarry topped off, then come back for recharging. Since my frame quarry is a 'tunnel bore' design, going from Y6 to Y16 16 blocks wide, set up to drop a torch from the rear dispenser every eight iterations, solar would not work, otherwise I'd just make a series of panels.

I use TE for ore smelting and refining. I don't use much rubber, because I don't make many things in IC2. The Compressor is probably the most often used machine, and that's only because I needed the carbon plates for my nano-armor. So not much call for IC2 anymore.

Scale_e

Jul 29, 2019
Then let's look at what EU is used to power... well, usually, it's a macerator, a furnace, an extractor, and a compressor. If you have Advanced Machines included, then it also does the advanced versions of the above. Oh yea, and your massfab, if you really want to go there. That's it. Oh, and your tools and armor.
And, the industrial centrifuge. Which is a pretty big deal now.

I use TE for ore smelting and refining. I don't use much rubber, because I don't make many things in IC2. The Compressor is probably the most often used machine, and that's only because I needed the carbon plates for my nano-armor. So not much call for IC2 anymore.
I can see your point though. I haven't really tried the TE processing options. I was going to start using the factorization processing method for the 3x output for iron, but that's only because IC2 needs a metric DickTin of iron now.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And, the industrial centrifuge. Which is a pretty big deal now.
Nah, the DW20 pack doesn't even HAVE GregTech, and I'm not a big fan of the thing anyways, I generally just remove it.

I can see your point though. I haven't really tried the TE processing options. I was going to start using the factorization processing method for the 3x output for iron, but that's only because IC2 needs a metric DickTin of iron now.
TE can triple ore production as well, if you do it right. Basically, you've got about a 1 in 3 chance of getting Rich Slag every time you run an unprocessed ore through your Induction Smelter. Using this in conjunction with two pulverized ores results in a total of three ingots of that type. No, you don't need to match types with Rich Slag, so you can process your metric ton of (whatever you have an excess of) in your Induction Smelter as an ore and 'merely' get double production out of it. Then when you get to your valuable ores that you need a metric ton of, you drop your Rich Slag into your smelter, then start your pulverizer up and you'll get triple ore production as long as your Rich Slag holds out.[DOUBLEPOST=1356564271][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mass Fab runs on EU. There is nothing that require thousands of MJ. Except may be if you run dozens of quarries simultaneously.
Yet another reason why I prefer to run primarily on MJ and not have to worry about NEEDING to produce thousands of ANYTHING. Besides, once you get your Gravisut and Quantum Armor... what else do you NEED UUM for anyways?

Scale_e

Jul 29, 2019
TE can triple ore production as well, if you do it right. Basically, you've got about a 1 in 3 chance of getting Rich Slag every time you run an unprocessed ore through your Induction Smelter. Using this in conjunction with two pulverized ores results in a total of three ingots of that type. No, you don't need to match types with Rich Slag, so you can process your metric ton of (whatever you have an excess of) in your Induction Smelter as an ore and 'merely' get double production out of it. Then when you get to your valuable ores that you need a metric ton of, you drop your Rich Slag into your smelter, then start your pulverizer up and you'll get triple ore production as long as your Rich Slag holds out.
...Sneaky, I like it. ;)
But why the DW20 pack? Is that just because of the Gregtech? Or do you follow along with LPs or something?

Mass Fab runs on EU. There is nothing that require thousands of MJ. Except may be if you run dozens of quarries simultaneously.
Exactly. But even then, once you quarry down to bedrock, it's over. You don't need those thousands of MJ any more. It's not a permanent setup like a reactor and Mass Fab is.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
...Sneaky, I like it. ;)
But why the DW20 pack? Is that just because of the Gregtech? Or do you follow along with LPs or something?
It's the first mod pack out with RP2 in it. It's got all the mods I really want. It doesn't have GregTech. I can deal with GregTech, I guess, or just disable it myself. But I find myself not a fan of things like the Advanced Solar Panels, preferring the simple Compact Solars instead.

I guess I tend more towards a Steampunk-level tech than a super-high-tech like GregTech goes to.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, the DW20 pack doesn't even HAVE GregTech, and I'm not a big fan of the thing anyways, I generally just remove it.

TE can triple ore production as well, if you do it right. Basically, you've got about a 1 in 3 chance of getting Rich Slag every time you run an unprocessed ore through your Induction Smelter. Using this in conjunction with two pulverized ores results in a total of three ingots of that type. No, you don't need to match types with Rich Slag, so you can process your metric ton of (whatever you have an excess of) in your Induction Smelter as an ore and 'merely' get double production out of it. Then when you get to your valuable ores that you need a metric ton of, you drop your Rich Slag into your smelter, then start your pulverizer up and you'll get triple ore production as long as your Rich Slag holds out.[DOUBLEPOST=1356564271][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yet another reason why I prefer to run primarily on MJ and not have to worry about NEEDING to produce thousands of ANYTHING. Besides, once you get your Gravisut and Quantum Armor... what else do you NEED UUM for anyways?
Really pretty tanks of Liquid UU with the liquid UU mod ? (seriously it is really pretty lol)

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
It's environment-friendly way to get materials.
Btw, you don't have to use Massfab even. Scrapboxing with help of Alloy Furnace and Igneous Extruder is a quite good way to get stuff too.
GT did not mutilate recyclers too, right?

SCAL37

Jul 29, 2019
It's environment-friendly way to get materials.
Indeed. As someone with an unhealthy obsession with renewable resources, I'd love to get my hands on a massfab. Not that I've ever gotten that far up the IC2 tree...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Indeed. As someone with an unhealthy obsession with renewable resources, I'd love to get my hands on a massfab. Not that I've ever gotten that far up the IC2 tree...

If you're ok with brutalising creepers, a minion stone allows you to turn wood (forestry farm woot!) into raw iron/gold ect...
You'll still need a massfab for tin and mod materials though.

SCAL37

Jul 29, 2019
If you're ok with brutalising creepers, a minion stone allows you to turn wood (forestry farm woot!) into raw iron/gold ect...
You'll still need a massfab for tin and mod materials though.
I'm playing Mindcrack, but you make a good argument for sticking EE3 in my mods folder. (Actually, I'm most interested in renewable dirt.)

Oh, and on the subject of conversion, I would imagine that Eloraam will add more power converters in the future, given that she added a new module to RP for compatibility.

Remaker

Jul 29, 2019
We already have renewable dirt. Leaves and saplings can be crafted into Plant Mass, which can then be macerated (but not pulverized, strangely) into dirt. The way it works out is that every leaf block or sapling gives you one block of dirt. Knowing about this makes large scale leveling projects much easier.

Scale_e

Jul 29, 2019
We already have renewable dirt. Leaves and saplings can be crafted into Plant Mass, which can then be macerated (but not pulverized, strangely) into dirt. The way it works out is that every leaf block or sapling gives you one block of dirt. Knowing about this makes large scale leveling projects much easier.
And getting the leaves isn't hard. Advanced chainsaw. Whoooooooooo! ~~~damn fast~~~

SCAL37

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so THAT's where I was going wrong; I didn't use any IC2 on my new world, since my last one was Magic World and I'd gotten used to an RC/TE-based infrastructure rather than IC2. Thanks for that info.