Recommeneded Modpacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Techsnologic

Nov 6, 2019
Morning all,

Currently i'm looking to run up a new server for a group of friends to play and we're looking at running an FTB modpack but we're not 100% certain on which one to go for.
Currently we'd like to use the FTB Unstable pack, but not sure if this is a good idea yet considering (from what I've seen) it's not currently supported. The reason for this is so we can continue to play on 1.14.4
Our other option that we've seen is that we used to play on FTB Revelation a couple of years ago but can see it still uses 1.12.2 which would mean losing out on the newer features of vanilla minecraft.

Are there any other modpacks anyone else can recommend for us? We have a bunch of newer players so looking for something that can accomodate new and experienced players alike?

Thanks in advance!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
If you want to go for 1.14 only, you might be waiting around for a while! Its really not especially well supported at the moment, there are mods but not many coherent modpacks as far as I am aware.

Techsnologic

Nov 6, 2019
If you want to go for 1.14 only, you might be waiting around for a while! Its really not especially well supported at the moment, there are mods but not many coherent modpacks as far as I am aware.

I figured that may be the case, if not on 1.14 are there any other mod packs you'd suggest other than Revelation? (Already asked my friends to have a look at it to see what they think)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
There's quite a number of 1.12 packs; the next question is what are you after in terms of a gaming experience?

Techsnologic

Nov 6, 2019
Essentially anything that doesn't require expert knowledge of the game, we've got some very good players, but some more casual players as well so requires a nice mix. As for themes, generally anything goes as long as it's fun. I saw a lot of 1.12 packs but had no idea where to start because seeing them all is really daunting in itself.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
DW's packs are generally accepted as good, well rounded packs for everyone to play. I personally prefer something like Stoneblock that has a wide range of mods that span between simple and complex.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
You probably want to avoid packs like FTB Interactions or InfiTech 3 as these are hard packs, Omnifactory apparently doesn't have a great endgame either.

Techsnologic

Nov 6, 2019
DW's packs are generally accepted as good, well rounded packs for everyone to play. I personally prefer something like Stoneblock that has a wide range of mods that span between simple and complex.

Thanks Reddis, any chance of just finding out what is meant by DW? Apologies on having to ask! I saw a couple of posts on reddit saying that Stone lock wasn't exactly great (can't remember the reason) but I'll do some research into it :)

You probably want to avoid packs like FTB Interactions or InfiTech 3 as these are hard packs, Omnifactory apparently doesn't have a great endgame either.

Thanks for the info, any packs you'd recommend?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Thanks Reddis, any chance of just finding out what is meant by DW? Apologies on having to ask! I saw a couple of posts on reddit saying that Stone lock wasn't exactly great (can't remember the reason) but I'll do some research into it :)
DW is the shorthand for a popular youtuber DireWolf20. Ever since FTB became a Thing, he's been putting out packs specific for his Let's Plays, customized and tweaked for his purposes for not only personally enjoying, but to make enjoyable content. They tend to be 'kitchen sink' packs, with a bit more care taken about which mods actually go in.

Thanks for the info, any packs you'd recommend?
Well, that depends on what you want. Right now, there's a ton of mod packs in 1.12.2 but Forge (the API that virtually all mods are dependent upon) only just recently came out for 1.14, so there aren't many mods which are available for that version of Minecraft just yet.

Techsnologic

Nov 6, 2019
DW is the shorthand for a popular youtuber DireWolf20. Ever since FTB became a Thing, he's been putting out packs specific for his Let's Plays, customized and tweaked for his purposes for not only personally enjoying, but to make enjoyable content. They tend to be 'kitchen sink' packs, with a bit more care taken about which mods actually go in.

Well, that depends on what you want. Right now, there's a ton of mod packs in 1.12.2 but Forge (the API that virtually all mods are dependent upon) only just recently came out for 1.14, so there aren't many mods which are available for that version of Minecraft just yet.

Ahh ok, i think we used the normal Direwolf20 pack before Revelation and wasn't 100% keen on the pack which is why we moved.
Thanks for explaining about the API, i was confused as hell as to why 1.14 had been out for so long yet there were no packs other than the unstable version.
Is there anything that is similar to Revelation but also different enough to be new for us all? I don't believe any of my friends have played anything other than the 2 packs mentioned above so any other packs should be new, but we're looking to get something similar to Revelation (sorry if i'm not being the most helpful at all on this i know!)

As a secondary question, one of my friends asked for Pixelmon to be included, does anyone know if a pack includes that, or if not, can i add it on as an extra afterwards or is that once a modpack is installed, that's all we can have?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ahh ok, i think we used the normal Direwolf20 pack before Revelation and wasn't 100% keen on the pack which is why we moved.
Thanks for explaining about the API, i was confused as hell as to why 1.14 had been out for so long yet there were no packs other than the unstable version.
Is there anything that is similar to Revelation but also different enough to be new for us all? I don't believe any of my friends have played anything other than the 2 packs mentioned above so any other packs should be new, but we're looking to get something similar to Revelation (sorry if i'm not being the most helpful at all on this i know!)
They're both 'kitchen sink' style packs, so if that is the sort of pack you want, look for that phrase to find what you are looking for.

As a secondary question, one of my friends asked for Pixelmon to be included, does anyone know if a pack includes that, or if not, can i add it on as an extra afterwards or is that once a modpack is installed, that's all we can have?
Nintendo slapped the creators of Pixelmon with a Cease and Desist and forced a takedown for copyright and trademark infringement. So I don't really think you're going to find any.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I can recommend Automaton (spelling is exact.) It's semi-hardcore. But not so heavily modified as to be painful. Following the book leads you into the next mod on the list in fairly short order.

I am currently playing through Mass Production, which is gated, but doesn't seem to have any changed recipes, but it wants... A LOT of stuff. The name is a big hint.