Recommended Update Proceedure

H

Hblackwolf

Hey y'all:

I run an FTB Beyond server. We are currently running on release 1.4x. I noticed that a new release version came out on the 13th (1.5.3-1.10.2) and that got me wondering about the safe way to update our server.

Obviously I can't make my community create a new world with every update ecspecially at the pace they are coming out. When I updated to 1.4 I had to run the /fml command to start the server and their were some items removed that confused everybody.

Is it relatively safe to keep updating that way or am I just asking for trouble? Also I'm looking for a source to keep updated on all the release version changes and update availability.

Thanks!

-Hunter

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So yes it is safe to update provided you take some basic precautions.
  • Always backup you world folder before any update
  • I usually rename the config, mod, modpack and script folder to the current version you are playing
  • Upload the new config, mod, modpack and script folders. Also update forge if there are new server jar file included
  • Run the server - do the /fml confirm command if needed. All this is doing is warning you that one of the mods has changed and has removed some item or block from game.
  • Check everything out. If there are any issues you can always restore the world folder and the original directories (config, mod, modpack & scripts).
I do this every update. Even with my own pack.

Reactions: cap.1o