Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
How do you feel about recent happenings?

Many of us are frequent visitors to the "What's New in Modded Minecraft Today?" thread where people can post updates concerning really anything related to the world of modded minecraft (sometimes even vanilla). The thread has functioned quite well as a means of providing people with news almost as soon as it happens but people often wish to discuss said popular news. Discussion clutters the thread quite a lot and takes away from the news aspect of it; this has been happening more frequently recently.
*For any who have not visited that thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/whats-new-in-modded-minecraft-today.39595/

Discussion is not a bad thing; discussion is a key part to a community. This subforum even includes the word with the title. To encourage respectful discussion I have created this thread to be used alongside the news thread for discussing recent happenings and events.
This is not meant to take away from the other thread and it should definitely remain the place to post news info. If you feel that whatever is being posted is worth discussing please feel free to link it here or quote it.

Similar to the "What's New in Modded Minecraft Today?" thread, here are a list of do's and don'ts

Do's
  • Discuss about an update from the modded minecraft community.
  • Link to the mentioned news thread posts or quote them.
  • Be kind and polite to each other.
Don'ts
  • Don't flame or attack another member of the community in this topic, this post will be reported.
  • Advertise websites or projects that have absolutely nothing to do with the modded minecraft community.
  • Make a lot of posts about the same thing which has already been reported or discussed, as this counts as spam.
Note: I have not included the same ban of Gregtech related discussion. I feel that it should not be taboo to talk about in this community. If flame wars ensue I will add the rule to this thread.

If this proves to be a completely useless idea so be it, it shall be forgotten. Just don't say no one ever tried it ;)

Additional Rules:​

As the thread owner: This thread was created to avoid cluttering the Whats New thread. That is the only firm basis for it's origin.

Now as for what should be talked about here, a couple of things:
  • Minecraft related. Other areas may tie into the minecraft world but don't stretch it ;) (vanilla, modded, packs, texturepacks, meh)
  • Topics that the community can benefit from currently discussing. If the events happened a month ago, or a year ago and it actually benefits the community to talk about it now, that mean that whatever it is hasn't been resolved or is still relevant.
What should not be talked about.
  • Anything that does not benefit the community at all. Yes this an ambiguous rule, judgement calls are made all the time concerning it.
  • If the discussion is hateful towards someone it does not belong here. Period. You may not agree with something someone has said or done, and respectfully bringing up quality points is cool, flaming/hating/gossiping about/shaming is not cool.
  • If a topic has a dedicated thread because it has monopolized pages and pages of this thread it gets discussed there, not here anymore.
  • If a topic has been deemed "resolved" don't beat the dead horse. If people agree to disagree and "all" points have been brought forwards, talking about it more is inevitable not going to produce healthy, pleasant discussion.
If you acknowledge that a conversation is being held between two people instead of a legitimate discussion you may want to consider a forum conversation, but I understand that other people may still benefit from hearing what you have to say.

We have a great community here with Feed the Beast, we don't all share the same opinion and that is completely ok, we can still discuss things. People can generally be trusted to remain respectful to one another and be generally decent. This will hopefully continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arouka

Jul 29, 2019
Glad this exists now, discussion is good but it definitely did clutter up the old forum.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really agree with the IC2 devs. As @Y33XA said, its old guard vs. new guard. I don't really want TE3 to be the new IC2, I prefer RoC, but, hey, perhaps RoC will be another hit mod.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really agree with the IC2 devs. As @Y33XA said, its old guard vs. new guard. I don't really want TE3 to be the new IC2, I prefer RoC, but, hey, perhaps RoC will be another hit mod.

Actually I'd call Ender IO the new IC2. In that it provides better faster machines but with a greater material cost and general increase in the complexity of crafting. Ender IO even has solar's (Photovoltaic panels). :D

Hay anyone want to create a compressed photovoltaic panel mod?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I'd call Ender IO the new IC2. In that it provides better faster machines but with a greater material cost and general increase in the complexity of crafting. Ender IO even has solar's (Photovoltaic panels). :D

Hay anyone want to create a compressed photovoltaic panel mod?
I love EIO, I would love compressed photovoltaic cells, but they already generate a lot of power. Don't want people replacing BR with solars. Cheaty people.[DOUBLEPOST=1399249735][/DOUBLEPOST]
That sounds like Mekanism honestly.
Honestly, I only use Mek for the digital miner and energy cubes.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like Mekanism honestly.

Mech is closer to the current IC2 than the old one. Or even old IC2 combined with GT.
Though you might be right in regards to the complexity of the power net.

Old Ic2 was something you did once you got quarries set up and wanted to posses lots of goods quickly. Mech is this whole complex separate thing. That stands apart from the rest of the tech progression.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I love EIO, I would love compressed photovoltaic cells, but they already generate a lot of power.

The pack you are playing changed the configs. I believe the Default config is for 1 FR a tick. That's not a lot.

Did you have to call it EIO? (Old Mc. Donald had a farm.)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Honestly, I only use Mek for the digital miner and energy cubes.

When I have other options in my world (RotaryCraft, I'm looking at you) I only use the digital miner and occasionally the energy cubes. If I don't have anything better for ore processing, armor, or weapons, then I use Mekanism extensively.
The pack you are playing changed the configs. I believe the Default config is for 1 FR a tick. That's not a lot.

Standard is 1 MJ/t (I think). And yes, it's recorded as EIO on the wiki, and @trajing should get working on documenting it. :p
Though you might be right in regards to the complexity of the power net.

Are you implying the power net in Mekanism is as hard as IC2? Because that's how I'm reading the above quote, and I would strongly disagree.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019

Default Monster it seems to fill up my stuff fairly quickly. It may be that AdvGen machines don't have a lot of capacity though.

@Not_Steve, EIO for Ender IO?

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 is apparently exited by blood magic mode on forgcraft2 and creator of blood magic was invited to play on a server. I am personally quite exited too and hope that means blood magic will be in DW20 1.7 pack. also would be great to see creator of this mod to play with it and show us some cool things he is working on.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to ore doubling mods, right now I am all for enderIO as it has actually updated to 1.7, I have talked to Crazypants and respect him and enjoy using his mod, it can be perfectly configured to my tastes.
I also have talked to Aidan Brady and respect him a lot, mekansim is also one of my goto mods for sure and it has a really neat late-game ore processing system.
I will admit, without throwing anything dirty at a proverbial fan that I have lost some respect for the IC2 devs, as well as interest in their content.
I haven't gotten into rotarycraft yet, might still but it is quite daunting...
Really at the end of the day, I wan't anything for 1.7 :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
When I have other options in my world (RotaryCraft, I'm looking at you) I only use the digital miner and occasionally the energy cubes. If I don't have anything better for ore processing, armor, or weapons, then I use Mekanism extensively.

Standard is 1 MJ/t (I think). And yes, it's recorded as EIO on the wiki, and @trajing should get working on documenting it. :p

Are you implying the power net in Mekanism is as hard as IC2? Because that's how I'm reading the above quote, and I would strongly disagree.
Go find me a decent graphics editor and you have yourself some documentation.
Someone told me that Mek's ore processing was better than RoC. I gave them a few words they won't forget.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I will admit, without throwing anything dirty at a proverbial fan that I have lost some respect for the IC2 devs, as well as interest in their content.

Considering that they haven't really added anything in forever I'm not surprised. The only thing they did was make things more complicated. Taking twice as long to make the same darn machines.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 is apparently exited by blood magic mode on forgcraft2 and creator of blood magic was invited to play on a server. I am personally quite exited too and hope that means blood magic will be in DW20 1.7 pack. also would be great to see creator of this mod to play with it and show us some cool things he is working on.
This is one mod that I have included in all my packs but have never gotten around to. I find it interesting that Dire is now kind-of forced to play with it, going against his previous stance that it was a tad on the gory side :p I do look forward to seeing it in action though :)
Go find me a decent graphics editor and you have yourself some documentation.
Someone told me that Mek's ore processing was better than RoC. I gave them a few words they won't forget.
Everyone to their own my friend, Rotary Craft is definitely not for everyone (made clear by the fact that a skill testing quiz is recommended before playing with it)

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I'm implying that I found it hard. It's not the most intuitive system. It's probably perfectly fine once you get used to it. But I don't like to have to math out power trains and rotation speed and torque. And I had issues getting the power to change directions.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I find it interesting that Dire is now kind-of forced to play with it, going against his previous stance that it was a tad on the gory side :p I do look forward to seeing it in action though :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the "IHateFun" config option is enabled.

Everyone to their own my friend, Rotary Craft is definitely not for everyone (made clear by the fact that a skill testing quiz is recommended before playing with it)

That's due to the unwillingness of some people to multiply a few numbers together.
I'm implying that I found it hard. It's not the most intuitive system. It's probably perfectly fine once you get used to it. But I don't like to have to math out power trains and rotation speed and torque. And I had issues getting the power to change directions.

I was talking about Mekanism in my previous posts, not RotaryCraft. You're describing RotaryCraft.