[ReactorCraft] Fission on a Server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Let me start by saying I've read through the ReC change logs and am running the latest version as of starting this thread. That said there are a few things that I just don't understand that I'm hopeful some of you can help me with and hopefully @Reika can keep this accurate.

For months now any block in ReactorCraft that emits neutrons (breeder fuel core, fuel core, spent fuel container) can act as a chunkloader and this ability can be turned on and off via the ReC config. What is not clear to me is the following:

1) In an unloaded chunk with a fuel core, does the core or the fuel somehow know "I haven't ticked for the last 2 hours, once I do load again, I will spam 4,000 neutrons all at once and melt down MWAHAHAHAHAHA! or as I imagine unloaded chunks actually working when it does load just start ticking and emitting neutrons starting from the moment it became loaded again. Reika has previously said on many occasions that unloaded chunks = meltdowns but I've not seen a detailed explanation as to why.

2) If either the core or the fuel actually do know how much server time has elapsed since it last ticked (reading and writing to a text file would accomplish this), then that would mean that the chunks they are in can never ever ever unload. So if that is the case, how is that even possible. I mean even spawn chunks in the OW unload when everyone leaves the OW. I put my first test fission reactor directly at spawn in the OW on our server and logged back in to die in corium. This was a spent fuel container completely surrounded by water source blocks and 2 blocks away was a breeder fuel core also totally surrounded by water source blocks. If that chunk was loaded, I would have expected the breeder fuel to continue converting because neutrons kept coming off the spent fuel container and the whole setup to keep destroying water source blocks which should have kept reforming because of infinite water. This is not what did happen since it melted down so I am obviously mistaken in one or more of my assumptions

3) How has anyone on a server managed to keep their reactor chunkloaded 100% of the time?

I would really like to fool with fission on our server and branch out from HTGRs but not at the cost of destroying our server. If I am being an idiot, I would appreciate a nudge back onto the right path!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
1) No, the meltdowns due to chunk unloading was because (for some reason) the TileEntity kept ticking and spawning more neutrons, which themselves do not tick and thus accumulate. Eventually, you get a pile of hundreds or thousands of neutrons and its accompanying temperature spike triggers and instant meltdown.

2) Chunkloading forces the chunk to be loaded. Permanently. This ignores all player counts, and only stops once the server goes down.

3) I just use ChickenChunks.

Also, the notification system is not working; I found this thread via google search, not the @User ping. That and several messages are "unreading" themselves.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
1) No, the meltdowns due to chunk unloading was because (for some reason) the TileEntity kept ticking and spawning more neutrons, which themselves do not tick and thus accumulate. Eventually, you get a pile of hundreds or thousands of neutrons and its accompanying temperature spike triggers and instant meltdown.

Is this still the case that the tile entity ticks despite being "unloaded" or have you managed to repair it?

Regarding 2) and 3), I figured you would say ChickenChunks. In order to reduce the number of loaded chunks on our server we have configured chunk loaders to turn off 1 minute after their owner logs out. If the tile entity continues to tick despite being "unloaded" this would definitely cause a problem.

Reactions: Type1Ninja