Ranged pumps

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
ok... I've done everything I can think of to get this stupid thing to work. Above lava... in lava. Red stone signal on all sides except the top. Ender tank/ender io tank.... in out of ideas... can some one post me a screen shot of their working setup? That isn't the one on the curse page

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Neat, never heard of it. Lets go through the obvious crap and rule it out.

1) Is the pump 1 block above what you're pumping? yes you mentioned this.
2) Is the internal tank getting any liquids at all? (dunno if there's a gui or any other way you can tell)
3) did you right-click it to see what its up to (if anything)?
4) Are there any other mystery liquids in the tank preventing lava from going in?
5) Is your pack configured to require RF energy for the machine? (RF requirement is OFF by default apparently)
6) Have you tried extracting liquid out via a pipe such as an enderio fluid conduit rather than waiting for it to be pushed out via the machine?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
This starts scanning for liquids to pump at the outside of it's range which is 64 blocks from the pump, so whatever you see where you place the pump is not what you will be pumping there is a diagram which explains how it scans about halfway down the page.

Overview - Ranged Pumps - Mods - Projects - Minecraft CurseForge

So it's really only of any use in the Nether or an Ocean and even then it's highly limited.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to use it in the nether in the middle of a substantial lava ocean.

Tried pumping directly to the tanks, tried pumping it through ender io AND i.e. Pipes. No gui to speak of. Right clicking will pop up in chat where it's scanning, the amount of rf it has, and if it has a red stone signal (mine has a lever on it so it has the red stone signal)

I've looked at the diagram a dozen times to make sure I'm not missing something. Thus why I am at a loss

Steve_59

Jul 29, 2019
I have one running, I have the pump with a lever on it. Lever turned on to activate the pump. An EnderIO stirling generator for power. An EnderIO fluid conduit on top of the pump, set to extract, an EU2 barrel connects to the conduit.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Pardon the ring... I was to impatient. I hadn't noticed the island at the very edge of my pumps range

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Yea, the range at which it works is pretty large, and furthermore it requires a redstone signal to pump, which can interfere with several methods of pumping/receiving liquids if you aren't careful. These are the two most common issues involved with the Ranged Pump.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
And is is slow, and I think it checks every block space from build height to bedrock in columns, starting on the outside edge of its range. OK for a quarry, kinda sucks for a pump, but options are currently limited.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And is is slow, and I think it checks every block space from build height to bedrock in columns, starting on the outside edge of its range. OK for a quarry, kinda sucks for a pump, but options are currently limited.
This is why I tend to build it around y12 in the overworld. Lava doesn't occur enough at higher elevations to be worth it.

In the nether, you've got oceans of lava. It's much less of a problem, as long as you put it at one over 'sea level', it's going to produce more lava than you can ever use, although the occasional island is going to cause a pause in the generation. For this reason, you have a buffer of liquid. Also, don't depend on lava for power generation.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a system with an Ender tank sitting on a column of ender io tanks each feeding the other. Buffer isn't an issue

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've got a system with an Ender tank sitting on a column of ender io tanks each feeding the other. Buffer isn't an issue
I kept having troubles with Ender Tanks having rounding issues and destroying the vast majority of lava being pumped through them back in 1.7.10. Unless that's been solved, it's not really an option on the table for me. Instead, I use the Dimensional Transceivers from EnderIO to transmit my liquid to and from remote locations.

TheQuixote

Jul 29, 2019
This starts scanning for liquids to pump at the outside of it's range which is 64 blocks from the pump, so whatever you see where you place the pump is not what you will be pumping there is a diagram which explains how it scans about halfway down the page.

Overview - Ranged Pumps - Mods - Projects - Minecraft CurseForge

So it's really only of any use in the Nether or an Ocean and even then it's highly limited.
It looks like there is a bug with the z start position. Instead of

origin.z - ( range / 2 )

it's doing

origin.z - ( range * 2 )

Would be nice if circled out from it's origin instead of the z pattern.

EDIT:
Looks like the bug is intermittent or very situationally dependent. Haven't seen it in the nether but saw it time to time while sucking up lava at level 11 in the normal world

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, I'm not really sure why he did it like that. I'm partial to the Immersive Engineering one that put's down cobble instead. it's a bit more clear about how it's supposed to work. And more importantly, has a manual.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Yeah, I'm not really sure why he did it like that. I'm partial to the Immersive Engineering one that put's down cobble instead. it's a bit more clear about how it's supposed to work. And more importantly, has a manual.

I assume it was meant to be a quick & dirty temporary substitute to fill in until the big boys got ported and feature complete. Not his fault Extra Utils 2 dropped it's pump.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I meant the weird method of how it fills in. The pump itself is an awesome tool, but not having it fill from the inside out is just weird.