Random explosions with Railcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to disable locomotive explosions in railcraft? I have both my base chunk loaded and my bee area chunk loaded, and a functioning anchor cart attached to my locomotive, and twice I've logged back into my server and found craters in the middle of the rail line.

The first time it was at my chunk boundry for the main base, the second time (today) it was well inside the loaded area for my main base. I've run the train many times while offline without issue. After the first explosion, I moved the anchor cart to immediately behind the locomotive instead of behind the chest cart thinking that may help. It's worked fine for several days until now.

I'm on the latest build of railcraft for 1.5.2

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
That's just it though. I've got water auto-loading on it just fine. It can run for *days* without exploding, then I get the random explosions. There isn't any reason it should explode, unless my server is just being derpy from time to time.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have the locomotive filling with both water and charcoal each time it hits my main base. Most of the time there is almost nothing to pick up and load from my bees, so it doesn't any time at all to make the loop. Maybe two minutes tops. Even then, if it did run out of water or charcoal, it should just shut down on the track, it shouldn't explode.

As per the railcraft website
Looks aside, like any Boiler, Steam Locomotives require both fuel and water. They are also subject to the same dangers in regards to hot and dry Boilers. Thankfully, Liquid Loaders are smart enough not to fill a Steam Locomotive if it would result in an explosion. However, Railcraft, Inc. is not liable for the actions of the person operating the Locomotive.
[DOUBLEPOST=1378775741][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are you using High-powered rails? Just a guess.

nope, standard rails.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
With Railcraft if cart is going too fast while on standard rails it can explode.
The only way this could happen is he had HS rails and HS boosters.

Okay, they only 2 other ways I can see this going wrong is either

1)Both loader for water is on the wrong setting and the water tank isn't being filled up/ topped off and there is the small probability that the engine overheats Inbetween fill ups
2) your anchor cart runs out of enderpearls

Other than that you should attach a cart to your train an follow it for a bit, see if anything funny happens.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure that this locomotive didn't collide with other locomotive (for example traveling on track next to it)? It also creates explosions. If this happened on chunk borders this could also be the cause. Is your server vanilla, or some weird combination with bukkit? Did those explosion happen when server was restarted (specially after the crash), or during normal operation?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
There is only 1 train... It just runs in a loop between the two areas. (one track with a loop and wye at both ends.) It's my own custom modpack that I made before FTB had their 1.5.2 packs out. It's normal operations on the server. I haven't restarted the server in 3 or 4 days.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure that this locomotive didn't collide with other locomotive (for example traveling on track next to it)? It also creates explosions. If this happened on chunk borders this could also be the cause. Is your server vanilla, or some weird combination with bukkit? Did those explosion happen when server was restarted (specially after the crash), or during normal operation?

You may be on to something. I logged back into my world today, and found this...

2013-09-10_18.51.22.png

It looks like somehow my train duplicated itself. The one on the right is the original as it actually has items in the chest cart inventory it picked up from my bee area. I'm not sure how this happened. There were still 2 ender pearls fueling the anchor carts.

Attachments

• 2013-09-10_18.52.02.png
    2013-09-10_18.52.02.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 2013-09-10_18.52.09.png
    2013-09-10_18.52.09.png
    279 KB · Views: 105

budge

Jul 29, 2019
In Direwolf20 1.4.7 I had an issue where trains would unlink at random, or carts would get out of order and pile up on each other, and then explode horribly. I seem to recall reporting these issues and CJ responding that vanilla MC physics were just broken beyond repair. Really not sure if there is a solution. Too bad, locomotives would have been fun.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I've had my train duplicate as well, seemed to be after a server restart but that could be coincidence.

On the plus side it duplicated my completely tricked out Steve's Cart that took way too much time to put together and then to assemble! Now I have a backup. :cool: