RAM Needed to Host FTB Beyond With 3-5 Players?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
B

BeastWini

I want to host a small server running FTB Beyond 1.10.2 with somewhere from 3-5 players. I want to use an external host (recommendations welcome). How much RAM should I purchase for the server for it to run smoothly at all times? Also, will running the server lag my computer? Specs: GPU- Titan X (8gb) CPU- i7 6700k Overclocked to 4.6 ghz RAM- 32 GB

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/server-running-advice.226810/

This thread has a good amount of recent information. There are a few different options for hosting listed, and I'm actually playing on a server from Minecraft-Hosting.pro now with adequate playability for the budget consumer. We're running Beyond with a few adds and some tweaks to the configs, all of which was very simple to set up.

Running from a dedicated host will remove the strain from your personal system, so things should run more smoothly than if you were playing singleplayer or hosting the server locally (where your system is running both the server and the client at the same time. The only lag this might add is due to network latency, which can be minimized by choosing a server location closer to the bulk of your players.

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I have a server with Minecraft-Hosting.pro also. I have Beyond plus about a dozen more mods running and have had zero issues since setting up around the first of the year. It's just for my wife and I and I'm using the 4mb memory option. Very easy to setup and get started.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Just an addendum on that thread that Inaeo posted, I had posed a question in the first post: If I set everything to 32 view distance, how long will that go before it crippples everything?

And the answer is the second person, lol. So, don't be like me and have to have it all. Short answer is with normal view distances, 4GB would be my recommendation, though if you're closer to 3 players than 5, you can probably get by at least temporarily with 3.

Do not use the same host that I am using. I have still had some minor problems that I haven't reported here yet, including the game going down for a day at a time and having to restore a backup when it starts working again, and still with no responses to my tickets. I only stick with them because they're about the only hosting site that's dumb enough to let me set it to 32.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I am using a server from Beast Node with 4g ram ($12 per month) and it runs Beyond fine for a friend and I. The only exception is if someone goes exploring or loads up an RFTools dimension, the mass chunk loading will drag you down.