RAM allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursemmalee

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all. It may have been posted somewhere but I couldn't find it.
Is there somewhere that shows how to change the RAM allocation and what exactly its does in the background? I know it improves the constant "Out of memory" error that forces me to relog every 5 minutes, but I'm interested in learning the how and why. I don't want to start randomly changing those numbers in the launcher and break something.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
Hello. First of all, what operating system?

When starting a program from Java, it defaults to an extremely low amount unless specified otherwise, as you know Minecraft likes to eat ram, especially when mods are installed.
Allocating more ram is giving you the opportunity to do more, place more machines into a world, have more mystcraft worlds, etc.

Simply allocating more ram to the Java instance won't break anything, it'll just give it more Ram, but make sure you've got that amount of ram available on your system.

nursemmalee

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Windows XP. And when looking at the options tag in the launcher, for me it says "min 256, max 1024". So do you just increase both of those numbers or just the "256"? And what would be too much? My other curiosity was if it makes your computer run hotter or whatever. Computer noob here obvs. :p

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Windows XP. And when looking at the options tag in the launcher, for me it says "min 256, max 1024". So do you just increase both of those numbers or just the "256"? And what would be too much? My other curiosity was if it makes your computer run hotter or whatever. Computer noob here obvs. :p
Well, the computer would indeed get hotter from the CPU more than the Ram, and the minimum it will start at is 256 and max 1024, and it's probably booting up with 256, you change the lower setting to 1024 so it is 1024 - 1024, so you'll always have a gig to mess with.

Andazeus

Jul 29, 2019
Just know that you can't really break anything from trying around. The absolute worst that could happen would be your computer crashing, and even that isn't super likely.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
Just know that you can't really break anything from trying around. The absolute worst that could happen would be your computer crashing, and even that isn't super likely.
BSOD memory dump error to be precise ;P

nursemmalee

Jul 29, 2019
So I've pretty much given up on fixing this, hoping that the official launcher will have some sort of fix because I'm not sure my issue is just RAM allocation anymore. It is when I play through MultiMC but through the FTB launcher, this is what happens:

I do a brand new install in a new folder. Each time I can get in game and play for about 5-10 minutes, then I'm suddenly at 0-2fps for no apparent reason and no amount of "close and re-log" seems to change anything.

Waiting for Saturday. :)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
So I've pretty much given up on fixing this, hoping that the official launcher will have some sort of fix because I'm not sure my issue is just RAM allocation anymore. It is when I play through MultiMC but through the FTB launcher, this is what happens:

I do a brand new install in a new folder. Each time I can get in game and play for about 5-10 minutes, then I'm suddenly at 0-2fps for no apparent reason and no amount of "close and re-log" seems to change anything.

Waiting for Saturday. :)
Well, so you know:
When my husband and I both updated to the 0.3.1 beta, the RAM stayed where we put it. How much RAM do you have, and do you have to ability to update the RAM or increase it?

nursemmalee

Jul 29, 2019
How much RAM do you have, and do you have to ability to update the RAM or increase it?

Well, this is what I'm currently playing with:
Dell XPS 630i
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
E8400 @ 3.00GHz
1.98 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 560
Windows XP SP3

I realize now, typing this, that "4" gigs of RAM probably isn't enough anymore. But I don't understand any of that stuff. I did try increasing it in the launcher and that didn't seem to do anything. Earlier versions of Minecraft work fine as well as earlier versions of the mods (My 1.2.5 "Direwolf" like world is fine, my 1.3.2 server play world is pretty good too), just not these mods or this launcher.

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm well i have the same amount of ram, and mine works fine, well there is an issue i noticed with a mobspawner i built, but i assumed it was just a vanilla bug with spawn limits above y 128, though you would think they would have fixed something like that by now.......

DaSword

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem that my minecraft lags and crashes. Though I have given it the full 1Gb of RAM it still does this. I am running Windows 7 32-bit and an i7 processor 2.7 GHz and Nvidia Graphics card with4gb of Ram. Can anyone tell me how I can give FTB more than just 1Gb?

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, you can't have more than 1 gb of RAM because you have a 32 bit operating system. That means 32 bit Java, which can only handle 1 gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.