Would you build a rainbow tree farm?

• Definitely!

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Automatic farms are way better

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing on the latest version of FTB Monster and I came across a Rainbow biome with a ton of animals and all different types of trees. I knocked one down and got 2 Notch Apples, 15ish golden apples and tons of normal apples along with stacks upon stacks of every color dye. I decided to make a tree farm out of it using Tinker's Construct's Lumber Axe to bring down the whole tree in one swing. Call me a noob but since I'm fairly new to the mod pack, I wasn't aware of the drops these saplings give and how easily you can farm them without having your inventory full of random dye.
http://imgur.com/a/Nx018
It's a simple 10x10 square with a 2x2 hole in the middle and I added a 3 blocks to all the edges to catch every drop. Plant 2x2 saplings 3 or 4 blocks above the hole and after you bonemeal it, dirt will spawn underneath it that you can destroy with an Excavator. As you can see, with just 4 tree harvests, i got 4 stacks of normal apples, 72 golden apples, and 10 Notch apples. I have a vacuum hopper sucking in items in the 2x2 area that is sending the items to itemducts which go to a trash can and a double chest. I have pneumatic servos connecting to the chest that is whitelisting all the apples, saplings, bonemeal, and wood while the trash can is blacklisting all those items. The dye gets destroyed (because I already have too much of it anyways) and the rest go into the chest. Simple, player-driven farm, but has a lot more benefits than automatic ones.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
If you want something simpler, two autonomous activator, one with shears, one placing leaves and something to pick items up. Probably much faster and cheaper :)

Reactions: Donut Legend

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Vaccuum + bedrock axe + autonomous activators
Bonus points if you work a bedrock scythe into the mix, and also find a use for all the drops.