Railcraft Train tracks: "Not for use with Loaders!"???

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So, what is the deal with the different Train tracks(Train Boarding Track, Train Holding Track and Train Lockdown Track) warning about "Not for use with Loaders"?

These tracks seem ideal to use when for example using Loaders to fuel and water the Locomotive. Why the warning then? :confused:

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I'll get back to you on this when I fire up my game but I'm sure I'm using one of those for my cart setups.

EDIT: ah wait, trains not carts... That's a different story

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
EDIT: ah wait, trains not carts... That's a different story
That's the thing. Always used the normal tracks with Loaders as I rarely/never seriously used Locomotives. But now that I am giving it a shot this warning is in my face. It seems to work fine the way I intend in tests, but cannot seem to shake the fear of the warning being there because of something serious... :confused:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
My guess here is that it could cause the entire train to get stuck, but I don't know for sure. Regular Boarding/Holding/Lockdown tracks work just fine with loaders working on trains. I used them to stop my locomotive to fill with water and charcoal (back in FTB Monster, I've not had a good chance to use the locomotives in 1.7 modpacks.) I used the train variations for manual set offs (i.e. passenger stops rather than cargo stops.)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Regular Boarding/Holding/Lockdown tracks work just fine with loaders working on trains. I used them to stop my locomotive to fill with water and charcoal
My thought was just that those would individually grab and hold each cart as well as the locomotive and then the loader would have to scan if it is the right kind and release them. A lot more processing/unnecessary stuff going on than simply using the Train tracks that only grabs the Locomotive.

This'll be one of those things that there's little to no documentation or discussions about...
Yeah the Train tracks are hardly documented at all. Nothing seems to be mentioned anywhere about the reason or meaning behind the warning.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My suspicion is that they have a cooldown before they shut back off. So they can allow an entire train to pass over them, before resetting down to their off state. Meaning they'd keep trying to push carts off the loaders. Or perhaps they pull redstone from adjacent tracks. So any of them getting a 'done' signal from a loader means they'd all kick into the on state.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
My suspicion is that they have a cooldown before they shut back off. So they can allow an entire train to pass over them, before resetting down to their off state. Meaning they'd keep trying to push carts off the loaders. Or perhaps they pull redstone from adjacent tracks. So any of them getting a 'done' signal from a loader means they'd all kick into the on state.
You mean that it is a warning for people that might for some bizarre reason stop the train with a "Train track" to use Loaders on the trains Carts? Because I can see how that would go COMPLETELY wonky with positioning with carts being half under a Loader...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No, more that they'd turn on, and eject the entire train before it's unloaded.
Their entire function is to ONLY grab the first cart/locomotive and then eject the whole train when released :p That is the main difference between the normal tracks and the train tracks as far as I understand.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Exactly, hence 'Not for use with Loaders'. That said, if you set the loaders to manual mode and rely only on a timer for example it works just fine.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Exactly, hence 'Not for use with Loaders'. That said, if you set the loaders to manual mode and rely only on a timer for example it works just fine.
But the deal is that I want to use the Loaders on the Locomotive, aka the first cart in the train. And then I am left wondering if there is something wrong with doing that with the "Train tracks". In tests it appear to work just fine, I just worry that it might "devour the world" or something due to the vague warning :p

But in the end it works just as fine with the normal "Boarding", "Holding", etc. tracks as long as you filter the Loaders to only service the Locomotive. The redstone signal "release" is instantaneous for any other carts in that case.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
PWVpEkJ.png

Ended up using the normal Boarding Track with the Loaders(for fuel and water) (to the left) and the Train Boarding Track to send of the train when passenger boards the cart(bottom right).